Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k AS DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

VBMan

Programmer
Jul 1, 2000
US
I hope this doesn't sound stupid but... here goes. I am new to Win2k Server and I want to make a small DHCP compatable network. My clients are Windows Me and the server has one net card. I want to make it possible to have the WinMe machienes login as a user on the domain. I tried to set this up myself but it really doesn't work. Any input or advice would be greatly apprecatied.

Thanks,
~Ben

Ok, first things first

Are you sure that your cabling is connected well ?
Is TCP/IP stack installed on both server and client ?
Does your server have a static IP address ?
If so, is the subnetmask set correctly ?
(maybe to test with, try setting the server to 192.168.0.1 subnetmask 255.255.255.0)
Try hardcoding your client computer to 192.168.0.2 subnetmask 255.255.255.0

Try to ping from your workstation to the server and vice versa.

If this works, we are sure we have connectivity
Now try to set up the DHCP server.
Make sure DHCP service is installed on the server.
Define a scope (for example from 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.15 subnetmask 255.255.255.0)
Authorize the server as being a valid server
On the client computer, set the TCP/IP options to get a IP address from DHCP + restart the client
If you get the IP address from DHCP & you can ping from client to server and back, we're one step closer

I don't have much experience with ME, but you might try to emulate the Win2K server as being a PDC for downlevel clients... maybe that will allow you to log on to the domain...

Good luck
Peter Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Hello peterve, What do you mean about authorizing the server as being a valid server. The reason i ask because my dhpc server stop working getting error saying "The DHCP/BINL service has determined that is not authorized to service clients on this network for the windows Domain CCG-corp.net" Do i need to authorized my server and how? Thanks.

In Win2K, you must authorize the DHCP as being a valid DHCP server in your AD domain(otherwise anybody would be able to install a rogue server)
Right click on the DHCP server name in the DHCP mmc console, and choose 'authorize'
That should do the trick
(note : this will only work if your DHCP is part of the AD Domain)

Good luck Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Is there a way to assign static IP addresses. I want to host a webserver but I need a static IP for it. I can't get one from my ISP so I'll try to get one another way.

~Ben

If this is for an external (Internet) Webserver theres no other choice than getting the ip address through your isp.
There is a service available however, for dynamically assigned ip addresses: with this free service your webserver is available even if your ip address is changed.

But if you want the webserver only accessable from your LAN you should use an address out of private address space like 10.0.0.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back