Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k and it's print server - having troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

mucous

Technical User
Nov 28, 2002
US
I'm not sure if this is a Win2K problem with the print server or the copier that's giving me the trouble. We have two Kyocera-Mita copiers networked to our print server (a 6230 and a 3010). A couple days ago all was well, but beginning yesterday, any print jobs sent to the 3010 just sit in the spooler cue and fail. I began observing the jobs as they went through the spooler, we have a couple Lexmarks and a couple HP printers also. Whenever the print jobs went through on all the other printers including the other Kyocera-mita copier, two files were sent through the spooler, the spl and shd files. When the Kyocera copier that's causing problems hits the spooler, it sends a third file, Tcp64C.tmp. What the heck is this and why is it in my spooler? After looking into things, I know what the other 2 files are and why they're there, but this Tcp64C.tmp file shouldn't be there should it? I get the feeling this is what's preventing the print jobs from passing through the spooler but don't know how to correct this. The other Kyocera copier is fine and does not generate the Tcp file.

All help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

That Tcp64C.tmp file keeps changing as I clear out the failed jobs. From Tcp64C, to D, E, etc...The file gets deleted along with the other two when I cancel the print job. I've also disabled advanced printing features on the printer to see if that helps to no avail...

How nice is the Kyocera? Is it older or newer?
Possibly that .tmp file is something created by the print server to hold the document your printing until it prints successfully.
If the file your printing is large, an older server/printer may not have enough internal memory to hold it is forced to use this temp file.
TCP probably stands for Transmission Control Protocal and since this is a networked printer TCP/IP is the suite that handles the file.

Thanks SPLIXX

I think I've solved the problem at least so the printer is up again. I had switched from RAW to LPR in an effort to improve printer performance. (One of my Win2K manuals suggested this). All the printers in the office were moved over including this Kyocera (It's a 3010). The day of the switch they all worked after moving to LPR. The next day was when this one copier began failing jobs. After spending much time today going over this, I switched back to RAW. The problem wasn't solved until I then set the ports on the print server and the copier to 10001 from 9100 previously on that copier. Printing is once again working, and I'm not seeing that TCP file anymore, just the two that should be there in the spooler. I'd still like the copier to work in LPR though, just not sure if it likes it or is supported, which would seem strange if it wasn't. I'm also going to contact Kyocera and see if they can offer some detail on this. I don't know how old the copier is, it seems like a fairly recent model. I want to look into the firmware on it also, just in case...

Thanks for your help!

Well darnit all...I'm back. The copier/printer is not working again today. I decided to delete the printer and reinstall it but now the printer won't delete. It's still showing in the printers list but says deleting to the right and is just sitting there. I know in WinXP this can be a prob and that you go into add/remove and delete the driver from there, however the copier is not listed in there. This is becoming a bigger problem. Does anyone know a way to remove the printer? I would like to clear it out of the system completely, then reinstall everything from scratch and see if it will play nicely from that point.

Thanks again in advance for all your help!

Did you try booting up in safe mode and trying to remove the printer then?

Actually, I stopped then restarted the spooler and tcp/ip printer services. That cleared it out. I've since reinstalled the copier with fresh drivers and am still not able to print. The copier is pingable. I can access it through a web browser and telnet. The settings all appear to be correct, but when I go to print a test page or an actual document it sits in the spooler file then creates an error. Arrrgh!

Also...I can't really do much during the day in terms of restarting the server. It's also our file server for the office. I can't be knocking people off without some serious unhappiness getting directed my way. I come in before everyone else in the office though. I'll do a restart tomorrow if I can't get this thing going today.

I solved th trouble. I contacted Kyocera Mita. Turns out the copier haas very specific port setting that I wasn't aware of. Once the port was specified correctly all was well.

Thanks for everyone's help though!

Wow...it's almost been a year...If I remember correctly, the port setting was 0.

Thank you , We are Kyocera Dealer I like to make a note of all the wierd ones :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back