Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2K & Internet Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

RacerX

IS-IT--Management
Feb 28, 2001
US
I'm setting up a machine that will be used as a 'MultiPurpose' computer. It will have software for which we have only one license. The users will be logging into this workstation and to NetWare 5 servers (using NetWare Client32 w/Workstation Mgr).

How can I setup the machine so that each user won't have to setup their own Internet access (LAN based)? Is there a way to have the machine setup for internet and not each user?

Thanks,
Tom

I think if you login with a test account or any account really. I'm assuming that you are using local profiles......this will create a new profile folder for the account. Now setup the internet connection settings and desktop stuff if you like.
Now logout and log back in with your account or admin account.
From windows explorer, locate your profiles dir.
delete the folder named "default user"
now rename the folder that was created for our test account to "default user".
to test it, log back in as the test account or w/ an account that hasn't yet logged into the machine.

If this works you could copy the default user folder to a share and then push it down later instead of visiting every PC if that's a problem for you.

Excellent solution!! Simple and effective.

Thanks,
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back