Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k Adv.Server Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadanB

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2002
Hi All,
First, thanks in advance for any help given!!! I have recently installed a server at home and I have a cable line and a fractional t-1 line. I have 3 NIC's in the server. I am trying to setup my network so that if my cable goes down, it will automatically roll over to the t-1. Is this possible? I am sure it's possible, I just don't know how to do it. Ne help is greatly appreciated. O, one nic is on cable, 2nd is on t-1, third goes to lan (10/100 switch).

Nice setup!

Yah, it can be done, just put both default gateways in your Lan-sides ip config. there will be a delay if one fails, but it works nicely. The dns servers may be different so you might need to get creative in how you arrange them.

Allso, if you'll be sharing the internet with other computers make sure they get both dns servers as well.

Good luck

Also, I'd suggest that you modify the route table, modifying the default metric value for the two gateways. That way, you can specify a "preferred" gateway for the faster link, and a "backup" gateway for the slower link. This is done through the command prompt, using route commands. Type "route print" to look at current configuration, and type "route /?" for help with the route command.

I'm about to give up!!! This just seems like a real logical thing and for some reason it has been a nightmare! I set up the network with the two cards going out to the WANs. And one going internal. As soon as I unplug the t1, I loose the connection all through my lan. On the server side, everything is superfast and still works when I unplug the t1. So the cable actually works, just not for the clients. To top it off, the whole lan slowed down to a crawl on the net once I plugged the t1 back in. What the heck am I doing wrong??? Both WAN's have been setup to use the same DNS. I setup the Default Gateway order as the t1 first and the cable second. Still no luck! Please someone save me from this insanity or I will switch to linux!!!!

Are you using NAT or ICS on your network? How are the clients accessing the internet? If it was me, I'd setup NAT and specify both connections to the 'net.

I have tried to setup the connections using NAT. I saw an article on m$ofts knoweldgebase stating not to use DHCP and DNS with ICS. So I switched to NAT. I tried to set up bot cards using the net, it works fine on server side but not on client side. As soon as I disconnect the t1 all net activity stops. Any ideas? -thanks for the help!

Did you add both gateways and static routes on each of the client pc's?

I tried to set up the gateways of both public ip's on each client machine and that didn't work. Not sure about the static routes. Maybe I am just doing all my RRAS stuff wrong, is there a place I can go to check on how to do this? Like a tutorial or guide? I just can't seem to make this work. I can do this fine if I just use the cable or the t1 but not with both!

In the IP properties of RRAS, try setting 2 static routes with the metrics of which route is your primary. Don't try to add the extra gateway on the actual machines, try adding it thru the DHCP scope, not sure if that will work, just trying to throw out some ideas..
That is a link about RRAS, not sure if it will help, but can't hurt, right... Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back