Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2K Adv Server Log on Denial 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mozoshoes

MIS
Jun 17, 2003
US
I run a small network of 3 workstations (Win95 and Win98) hooked to a server (via a hub) that was runnning Win NT 4. I recently upgraded to Win2K Adv Server(not a clean install). After doing so, the workstations can no longer log onto the server. It indicated that there was not a domain server to verify password.

The workstations can not access anything from the server or from any other workstations but it can still print to the other workstation's printer (except for the server)

The server is now running in AD, all user names were also transfer over from WinNT.

CAN YOU PLEASE HELP!

Thank

you shouldnt need any protocols other than TCP/IP, assuming of course there are no apps or anything that require another protocol. To get NetBIOS resolution you should install WINS. proabably be a good idea to install dhcp if you dont already have it and set it to register legacy client records in dns and enable dynamic updates on your forward and reverse lookup zones

The AD client is more for stupid issues like viewing the AD tree in network places adn such, but you shoudl have it installed which i see you do.

WINS will take care of NetBIOS naming issues for legacy (earlier than win2000) clients, and DNS will take care of Win2000 and WinXP cleints.

your actually probably slowing down the performance of your systems over the network by having all of those extra protocols, especially if they're above tcp/ip in the binding order.

If all domain controllers on your network run win2000, there is no need for otehr protocols. if you have MAC clients, you'll need the appletalk protocol. and some apps may require SAP or something along those lines.

But you defiantely need WINS, legacy clients will not find a domain controller without it.
And you defiantely need DNS because AD wont work right without it

Are you talking about installing WINS on the win95 station or on the Server?

Should I then uninstall IPX/SPX on the win95 station?

I do not have the reverse lookup configured, does it need to be?

Thanks

You install WINS on the server and remove IPX/SPX on all machines.

Just a tip matey, but there have been a lot of posts in this forum, and I see your quite new to the community that is Tek Tips. Its often polite to "star" posts that have helped you out, or will help you out in the future. I don't expect one as I have done very little to help you, but TT is free, and these experts put their time and effort into helping people. Surely a little click won't hurt?!

Saying that, keep posting, people will nearly always help - and good luck! :)

Steve Hewitt

Install WINS on the server, get rid of IPX/SPX on the entire network, NetBEUI to if you're using it...if all you have is Microsoft clients then all you should be using is TCP/IP.

Reverse lookups are not required, but i recommend em personally. they are required if you plan to troubleshoot dns worth a crap anyway (to use nslookup). they're for resolving ip addresses to host names (whereas host records in the forward lookup zone are for hostname to ip address resolution)

To use DNS correctly (more easily I shoudl say) with downlevel clients, you should install the DHCP service as well and have it assign IPs (keep some out for other uses like printers,etc., or just reserve the addresses in dhcp that they currently have.
then configure all clients to obtain an IP and DNS address automagically from dhcp

on the dhcp server configure it to pass out a WINS address as well. these can all be the same server but if you can install win2k server on another machine (even a desktop pc will work)then you can reduce the load on your server there (assuming you only have 1 to use for all this already of course). if you got a dual proc server, you should be ok if you assign a couple services to the other processor

if you want to stay static youll have to continue going to all workstations to manually input ip, dns, and wins info. for win98 youll have to use the downlevel domain name of your server (if you use company.local for ad you must put company for win9x/NT4 clients) on the DNS tab, along with the IP address.

On win2000 and up clients you can just click register this computers connection suffix in dns (or whatever it is)

dhcp will be much easier though
and wins will be required for proper netbios resolution within the domain
and dns is just required period for using active directory

hope that explains it a bit better for ya :)

yea i forgot, if you implement dhcp, dont forget to check the register legacy clients that do not support dynamic updates in dns checkbox (soemthing like that anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back