Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2K Adv Server Log on Denial 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mozoshoes

MIS
Jun 17, 2003
US
I run a small network of 3 workstations (Win95 and Win98) hooked to a server (via a hub) that was runnning Win NT 4. I recently upgraded to Win2K Adv Server(not a clean install). After doing so, the workstations can no longer log onto the server. It indicated that there was not a domain server to verify password.

The workstations can not access anything from the server or from any other workstations but it can still print to the other workstation's printer (except for the server)

The server is now running in AD, all user names were also transfer over from WinNT.

CAN YOU PLEASE HELP!

Thank

Mozoshoes,

Did you install the AD Client Extentions on your Workstations ??

"Windows 95/98-based and Windows NT 4.0-based clients lack many of the features of Windows 2000 Professional that are related to Active Directory."

------ Snip -----------

Ian

Ian,

Yes, I did try to install the AD Client ext. on the w98 worksations (off of the CD) but I still get the same error. Is there other settings that I need to do to the workstations for it to recognize the server.

Should I be using DNS? I believed that when I first did the update, I was forced to use DNS and maybe I did not install that correctly. We do not have a web server and so DNS should not be require, right?

Please help! Thanks a lot.

mozoshoes,

Can you ping the IP of the server from each of the workstations and vice-versa ??

What protocols are the WIN9X workstations running ??

Ian

The computers are able to ping each other w/o a problem. Futhermore, the workstations are able to print to each other's printer but not the server's printer (maybe it's just the hub that is allowing them to do that).

As far as protocol, we are using regular TCP/IP w/ a Kinston EtheRx Network Card for all computers.

Workstation config:
DNS Config: disable
Gateway: n/a
WINS Config: Disable
IP Address: Specify IP Address
NetBIOS: Diable
Binding: Share files and printers

Server Config:
Connect Using: Kingston Adapter
Components:Client for MS, File and Print Sharing, Network monitor Driver, TCP/IP
AdvanceSettings: IP Address - OK
DNS Tab: None
WINS Tab:enable LMHOST - checked, NetBIOS over TCP/IP - Enabled (will disable this to see what happens)

Great, Thanks! I'll take a look at the article.

Another question, W2K forces you to used DNS, is there anyway to get around that? The server's purpose is only to share files and printers, there is no reason to use DNS, right?

Thanks again!

mozoshoes,

Because your Server is running AD and is likely now a DC, you will have problems without DNS.

I'd get the workstations working with DNS and then when you have some "quiet time" try stopping DNS and experiement with a workstation to see what happens

Ian

I definately see where you are coming from but what if I was to demote the DC, which then would get rid of the AD as well as the DNS. There are only 3 users here and I do not mine adding them back on after demoting the DC (possible lost of user data).

I am persistant because this DNS thing is confusing for me. What DNS name should I give it if I do not have a web server or an email server? I think that might be my problem because when I first installed DNS, I just gave it a name w/o realizing its demand for an actual server.

My only other option is to do a clean install but that is another problem since I can not back up my server because the USB controller is going wacko.

Thanks!

mozoshoes,

I'd encourage you to persist with AD, since you never know when you may need to expand.

I set up my Home Network so that I'd have a test bed to try out ideas and test ASDI scripts etc. As long as the Server name and Domain make sense to you, it matters not what you call them. (Mine are SATURN and WestAve.CA)

Setting up DNS or DHCP can be confusing, but there are some very "helpful" folks on this thread who can help you with questions.

Ian

OK, I have tried the KB article but nothing is working. I have also tried to demote the AD and then promoting it to AD again, reinstalling the DNS server(MS), configuring it as directed by KB, and reset all the user names and passwords.

Something did happen: When I booted up the workstations and logged on, it recognized that the username and password had to be changed but when I try changing it, it gives me the error that I have to be logged on and that it can not find the domain controller.

I know that I have installed the AD client for the Win95/98 workstations, I can ping and receive pings from others.

Please help!

I did an ipconfig/all on the WS and this is the information that I got:

Windows 98 IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . : COMP1B
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . : There were 2 add. here
Node Type . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
NetBIOS Scope ID. . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . : No
NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : No
0 Ethernet adapter :
1 Ethernet adapter :
2 Ethernet adapter :
Description . . . . . . . . : Kingston EtheRx KNE120TX PCI Fast Ethernet
Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . : The MAC was here
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : xxx.xxx.xxx.21
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . :
Primary WINS Server . . . . :
Secondary WINS Server . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . :
Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

Host Name . . . . . . . . . : COMP2M
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . : There were 2 add. here
NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : No
0 Ethernet adapter :
1 Ethernet adapter :
Description . . . . . . . . : NDIS 3.1 miniport driver
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : xxx.xxx.xxx.50
2 Ethernet adapter :

It is indicating that IP routing, WINS, and NetBios is not enable. Could this be the problem?

Thanks,
mozoshoes

mozoshoes,

Check in the Win98 Network setup and verify that you see:-

NetB>adapter
TCP/IP>adapter

If it's not there, add it. Proto..>Micro...

Once it's there, highlight TCP/IP>adapter and point Gateway and DNS to your servers IP address.

Reboot and it should work.

Ian

OK, great! My 98 Stations are up but what about the 95 machine. It is now giving me a different error: "the domain password you supplied is not correct, or access to your logon server has been denied" I know that the password is correct because I used the same one on the 98 machines.

Thanks so much...

mozoshoes,

It's been a while since I've used WIN95. If I remember correctly 95 could be set up to store a password and save it in a .PWD file, that way the user would never be prompted when 95 started and just dropped to the desktop.

How is the networking set up ?? Winipcfg should show you the details.

Ian

Everyday the Computer Gods pick one person to be "it". Maybe, today is your day !!

Ian,

It is setup the same way as the 98 machines.
Host Name . . . . . . . . . : Server.DomainName
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . : DNS server IP Address
NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : Yes
Ethernet adapter :
Description . . . . . . . . : Kingston EtheRx KNE120TX PCI Fast EthernetAdapter
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : xxx.xxx.xxx.3

IPX/SPX, NetBios, TCP/IP, and NetBeui Protocol are enabled and installed for the Kingston EtheRx KNE120TX PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter. Also, AD Client have been installed.

What else coule be wrong?

If I have not already done so, I would like to thank you for helping me get the other machines up.

Mozo Shoes

mozoshoes,

Not a problem, sir !!.

You may want to set the default gateway in TCP/IP to point to your server.

Does this Win95 box prompt you for an ID, password and Domain when you boot up. If not, try this:-

Use Registry Editor to add a DWORD value named "DomainLogonMessage" (without quotation marks) to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Network\Logon

Set the data value for DomainLogonMessage to 1.

Follow this KB article except in Step 8 don't save the password and the user should be prompted each time they start up.

Should get you going

Ian

Everyday the Computer Gods pick one person to be "it". Maybe, today is your day !!

do you have novell, if not get rid of IPX/SPX

do you have client for microsoft networks on there? if not you need it and kill microsoft family logon

input DNS IP manually

easiest solution so youd never have to mess with it again is set up DHCP and enable it to update DNS records for legacy clients

I followed the article but for some reason, I was unable to get the CHANGE WINDOWS PASSWORD dialog box. There was only Remote Admin and User Profile.

I have also tried changing back and forth the PRIMARY LOGON: Windows Logon to Client for MS Netwk and vise versa.

I do not have novell and if I do get rid of the IPX/SPX, wouldn't that get rid of the NETBios as well? Client for MS Ntwk is installed and MS Family Logon is not install. The DNS was put in manually.

Any other suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back