Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2k AD usernames/passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.

philote

MIS
Oct 2, 2003
US
I want to know if this is possible: I have samba 3 on RH9 on a win2k AD domain and have several shared folders. I want it set up so that Windows XP users can access the shared folders on the RH box without having to enter a username and password. Can you set up Samba to receive the Windows user/passwd info from the XP box and automatically go to the server to authenticate the user? I think it may be doing it for my login, but I don't know if that's because I have the same username/password on windows as I do on the RH box. To get another user to connect to a share I have to type in MY login and password when it prompts to do so.

Kevin
A+, Network+, MCP

See the username map info here thread865-556462

So Samba can't authenticate using AD's users? Do I have to set up a user on the linux box and map all windows users to that user so they can access the shared folders? And if I do that, do they still enter a password or does it use the windows password and if so does that password have to match the password for the linux user they're mapped to?

Kevin
A+, Network+, MCP

I tried using winbind and set it up according to a HOWTO on samba.org but it didn't work. Which is too bad because it looked like it should have done the trick. :-(

Kevin
A+, Network+, MCP

I've never done it, but it's supposed to work. There have been several discussions in this forum about using winbind, AD and authentication. Hopefully the keyword search will turn up something useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back