Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2003 Server - cannot install printer or applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

ross0015

IS-IT--Management
Nov 16, 2005
US
I need to add a printer (hp lj 1320) to a win2003 server.

I have an administrator account. (i havent tried using the administrator account yet.)

I go through "add/remove programs" and "add new program" to start the printers install utility.

It brings up a box that says "preparing to install". Eventually i get a message that says... "install server not responding".

I get this exact same behavior when i try to install adobe acrobat and other applications.

how do i get past this?

thanks!

This wouldn't be an administrative issue, because if you didnt have the rights it would of told you.

When did this start happening? Has there been anytime when it was working correctly?

the previous printer installed fine, as did other apps when the server was originaly setup about a year ago.

i tried to install an app on it a few months ago. i couldnt get it to install either.

ALSO, when i was trying to install the printer i disabled the antivirus software (FSecure).

Do you know if the printer is using a version 2 driver?

Check these GPO's

Comp Config/Admin Templates/Printers/Disallow installation of printers using kernel-mode drivers

This setting is enabled by default on Win2k3. It exists, but is not configured, on XP....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back