Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2003 AD - failing to add Win2000 DC - thru dcpromo

Status
Not open for further replies.

dellboy

IS-IT--Management
May 11, 2001
GB
I have set up a test network to take a look at Windows 2003 server, haven't done much yet but there are a couple of little changes. Anyway getting to the point.

Windows 2003 is running AD with DHCP and DNS etc, all seems to be working fine. I have then built a second box running windows 2000 server and have added this to the domain. Both machines can ping one another via both IP and name suggesting that DNS is working. Both can access shares on the other machine.

I have tried to upgrade the win2000 server to a DC but this consistently fails. The procedure I follow is as detailed

Start
Run
dcpromo.exe
Run thru all the settings with domain username and password, restore mode password etc

window pops up and the upgrade starts - the window depiciting 2 servers appears and

‘stopping Net logon service’

is stated.

It then moves onto

‘Examining Enterprise Directory’

and as soon as this is displayed it fails with the following error:

Active Directory Installation Failed
An ldap read of operational attributes form the server servername.DOMAIN.CO.UK failed.
“An error occcured while installing the directory service. For more information see the event log”

Active Directory was not installed.

I look in the event log on both the Win2000 server and also the Win2003 server and there are no events logged.

I thought that the problem maybe that the servers had not synchronised together but they have both been 'live' for atleast 36hours and therefore any required synchronisation should have occured by now I would assume!

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Not having any event IDs from the event log does not help I know but there is nothing logged.

Cheers

Tried to search for a solution on technet.. can´t seem to be able to find anything about this.. everything about promoting a windows 2000 server to a dc in a windows 2003 AD forest is about upgrading the 2000 server to a windows 2003 server...

so my guess is that what you want ain´t possible...

Patrick
MCSE, MCP, A+, CCA

Petje

Thanks for the response, a little concerning but none to surprising. Looks like I'll be binning the W2003 domain then, unfortunate really.

Has anyone else heard anything similar to this i.e. in a W2003 domain a W2000 server can not be upgraded to DC.

Cheers

Installing SPs generally may have resolved it but I chucked on SP4 and now have a W2000 DC in a 2003 domain :O)

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back