Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2000Pro LAN-WAN connection and IP conflicts

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpdoc

Programmer
Sep 21, 1999
IT
Visit site
I'm trying to resolve the unsufficient number of static IPs assigned by my faculty server to my LAN(Win98/Win2000Pro OS machines)using one of the machines with Win2000Pro as "gateway".
1) Is it possible?
2) How to configure the "gateway" and "clients" machines?

3) Simply configuring the "client" as: IP 192.168.0.xxx , subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and gateway with the server-connected machine's IP; IP conflict is signaled.

PLEASE HELP ME
Thanx Marco. [sig][/sig]

What is the IP address scheme of your lan? To break up your lan to provide more static IP's would require a gateway/router. One subnet 192.168.0.xxx will support 254 clients and the other subnet 192.168.1.xxx will support 254 clients, specifying both with a mask of 255.255.255.0.

The router box or multi-homed server would have two network interfaces, one assigned 192.168.0.x and the other 192.168.1.x with each connected to a hub/switch in it's particular subnet. Any new clients would be connected to this new subnet.

[sig]<p>Doug<br><a href=mailto:dxd_2000@yahoo.com>dxd_2000@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back