Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2000 Server in a Netware environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcuz

MIS
Mar 22, 2002
US
Here's my situation:

To support a new software platform I need to build a database server running Win2000 Server and MS SQL 2000. I'm working in a netware 5.1 network environment and will be using win2000 and win98 workstations to access the database. My plan is to order the DB server with win2000 server already installed and set it up as a stand-alone. Then install SQL 2000, setup network parameters of my network,load the netware client to gain access to the network, plug it into the switch and setup shares for individual users. I've never plugged a win2k server into a netware network so I thought I would get any advice I could before I ordered equipment and tried to make it work. Does it sound like I'm close? Thanks.

I have a win2k and netware installation. (Except I use Win2K Pro on the desktop.) I installed the Novell Client on the workstations. This allows me to log into the Windows 2000 Domain and login to the Netware sever at the same time during log in. I've never used the MS win2k gateway or novell client. The download is free from novell.com.

Instead of a standalone, set up a domain. If nothing else, you are going to be adding more Windows servers in the future. A domain will make user authentication easier down the road. We run 200+ Netware servers and have added about 40 NT servers of various flavors into the network over the last 4 or 5 years. Let the Netware keep running the Netware functions, ie file and print, data storage etc, and let the w2k servers do the application thing. They actually do it fairly well. Keep in mind that security is different in both applications. You'll have to lock down the w2k box, rather than open it up.

As far as the client goes, we have found that we need both clients on the boxes that access the W2K servers. We run the Novell client first. The MS client runs in the background and as long as username and password is the same, the user won't see it.

Beaghler,

Thanks for the info. Should I set up Active Directory and have users authenticated on the Netware server as well as Win2k?

Yes, I would set up active directory. You really do not need it right now, but will in the future, and it's easier to do it from the start. If your users need resources on both servers, they will need to authenticate to both. If they only need one or the other, that's all I'd give them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back