Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2000 Server & Workstation Setup Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherryamore

IS-IT--Management
Jan 13, 2002
US
First, I am new at Networking. My setup is: Small Business Server 2000, 3 Win 2000 Workstations, 1 Win 98 Workstation and 1 Win 98 laptop.

I have many problems and hope I can get some help...I'm getting very frustrated.

First problem: I managed to get the Win 2000 workstations setup and joined to the domain, but although I have them setup as a user with admin rights I still get message that they do not have admin priveleges when I go to install software. Is this message related to the server versus the workstation. Is there somewhere in the server that I have to give permission for the user to be able to install programs?

Second Problem: I keep trying to configure the Win 98 Laptop to log into the domain, but everytime I reboot it I get either a windows logon (although it's is still setup for the domain) or I get the domain logon but it cannot get validated. Does this have something to do witht the active directory setup? How do I get around this problem?

Third Problem: All I have is the server, a hub, the workstations and a network printer. I have a bellsouth DSL modem that is pulled into the hub with a cross cable. The Win 98 laptop, although can't log onto the network, can browse the internet (yes, I have the DSL software installed on the laptop). I have tried installing software and getting a connection on the Win 2000 workstations, but it is not confirguring the adapter properly. Is there a better way to do this. I do not have a router, should I? And once again, is it active directory that is affecting me? I know little about networking. I'm worried that I have not setup something critical in the server. ALso, the server can connect to the internet through the modem that is pulled into the hub, but cannot browse the internet. Why?

Here's is how I really want the server to be setup, but don't know how to get there:

I want the server to have the connection to the internet and the workstation to get on the internet through the server, not individually dialing up through the modem.

I want to be able to install software on the server that gets access from the workstations, but I don't know when in the server the software is suppose to get installed or how...like is there a wrong versus right way to do this.

Sorry this is so long. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

For the first problem you need to add the user account to the LOCAL admin group or log on as a LOCAL administrator to install the software.

As for the second problem, we need some info about your net setup. Are you using tcp/ip? Are you running DHCP or static IP's? Etc.....

For the third problem you need to look into RRAS and ICS or NAT if you want everything to go thru the server.

Hope some of this helps!

Thank you!

For the first prob, the reason I'm having trouble is that I setup the user locally in the admin group, but still I get a message when I try to install software or view info in network neighborhood that the user doesn't have admin rights.

2nd Prob - Yes I am using tcp/ip, although I think the range I assigned with the help of a Dell Tech was too great. I think it was 192.168.1.0 to 255.255.255.0. I know very little about IP addresses, but will do some research on the net tonight to get more familiar. DHCP is running.

3rd Prob - I will look for info on RRAS, ICS and NAT tonight also.

I'll say one thing...Networking Professionals deserve all the money and more that they are paid. This isn't for the squimish!

Thank for your help!

When you add the user to the adminstrator group be sure to select your domain and then select the user from the domain.

On to the second problem, run winipcfg on the 98 machine and see if you're getting an IP address if so try pinging the server and see if you get a response.

Check your DHCP scope. For the small network you're running, all you need is 192.168.1.1 thru 192.168.1.20 but you can change the 20 to something larger for growth. 255.255.255.0 is probably the default gateway.

Its really a peice of cake if you follow the rules. You must first do some planning, research and testing.
Windows 2000 does not allow regular users to install software (thats the it should be kept). Software should always be installed by administrators to redeuce problems. You should be using domain accounts instead of local accounts. Even if the domain is unavailable users can still log on locally through cashed credentials. On the domain controller, creat a user account for all the users and one that you will use to administer the computers. Make this user a member of only the administrators group (not the domain admin group), only use the domain admin account if necessary. The workstations ard not difficult to join to the domain, (see the microsoft site for step-by-step guide to join Win98 to domain). The simplest way to share the internet is to use ICS. You will need 2 nics installed on your server for ICS, NAT or any proxy software. Connect your modem to your public nic and your hub to your private nic. ICS will act as a dhcp allocator that will supply IP's to your clients. You will have to manually creat a host (A)record in your dns for your win 98 clients. ICS will work ok but it lacks the more advanced features of NAT. Although you can forward and filter ports with NAT&TCP\IP it is not a real fire wall. If you buy a router it will also act as a fire wall.

Great. My only concern is something I found on Microsofts site. It said the following:

ICS May Not Function Properly with DNS or DHCP Server Services on the Same Computer (Q250603)

SYMPTOMS
When you have a server running Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) or Dynamic DNS (DDNS), the Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service may not function correctly or may cause some services to stop working. In addition, various error messages may be displayed.

CAUSE
The ICS service is one implementation of Network Address Translation (NAT) that Windows 2000 uses. The ICS service automatically sets up a mini DHCP scope and a DNS Proxy service to enable clients on the private network to use ICS and get on the Internet.

The DHCP allocator and DNS Proxy services are not configurable in ICS and start as soon as the service is enabled. Because these services bind to the same TCP ports that a DDNS or DHCP server uses, ICS conflicts if these services are running.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, do not run the ICS service on a DHCP or DDNS server. NAT (which is installed using routing protocols in the Routing and Remote Access Service (RRAS) snap-in) works correctly if you do not enable the DNS Proxy service or the DHCP allocator.

I'm supposing that it won't hurt anything to try it. Okay...I'm going off to the office to give all this a shot. If it doesn't work out the owner is going to call for some expensive support and I'll look bad (we'll just to myself, but...).

Thanks and wish me luck! I appreciate all the help!

great work, thats the way to do it. ICS is good for a home network and that doesn't have it's own dns,dhcp. You can use NAT on the same server but ot is not recomended to connect your Domain controller directly to the internet. If I were you I would pick up a router like a linxys witch would be the best and easiest solution. The router is also a firewall. And to my knoledge most of them have all the nat editors. Microsofts version of nat lacks a few (like msn messanger).

My server got cluttered by my repeated tries to configure it. I reinstalled Small Bus Server 2000. I tried to not install active directory but it was not optional. It seems that even before having the users setup, they can already see the network. But, the win 98 stations still can't get validated to log on the network.

We would be willing to pay someone if they could walk us through this and get us set up. If any of you are good with 2000 and Active Directory and would be willing to offer your assistance, please call me at 866-445-1006. I beleive that's the correct 800#. If it's not our regular # is 407-540-1006. Call me and tell me how much you would want for helping us.

PLEASE???!!!

Oh, and ask for Sherry when you call.

Pleeeeaaassseeee???!!!

Thought I'd let you all know. My problem with the bellsouth DSL modem was the modem. I got then to come out and install a router instead. Also found out users on Windows 2000 desktops have to log in with the username formatted as such: username@domain.local

Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back