Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2000 Pro Workstations load SLOWLY after 2000 Server implementation

Status
Not open for further replies.

John5150

IS-IT--Management
Mar 26, 2002
US
Thank you for reading this post. Recently I upgraded my PDC to Windows 2000 Server. I am running in a mixed mode environment with 2 other BDC's. Everything ran fine for about 3 days until this morning. I came into the office and ALL of the Windows 2000 Professional users are taking an excessive amount of time to login. It sits at the "Loading your personal settings" for about 5 minutes before allowing them to do anything. All of the Windows9X machines are logged in immediately. Does anyone know what is causing this slowdown on the Win2000 Pro workstations. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You,
John Muehler

Have you checked your event viewer to see if their are any errors that appear to be causing any problems? Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Here is the error message on every Windows 2000 Pro machine
The system failed to register network adapter with settings:

Adapter Name : {12AAFB43-9B31-462A-989D-CBF111237441}
Host Name : four (My Computer Name)
Adapter-specific Domain Suffix : vci.com (Domain)
DNS server list :
129.250.35.250, 129.250.35.251
Sent update to server : 205.230.105.115 (Not sure where it is getting this IP address)
IP Address(es) :
192.11.3.14 (Local IP address from NAT)

The reason it could not register was because either: (a) the DNS server does not support the DNS dynamic update protocol, or (b) the primary zone authoritative for the registering names does not currently accept dynamic updates.

To add or register a DNS host (A) resource record using the specific DNS name for this adapter, contact your DNS server or network systems administrator.

that 205 address is the IP for one of VCI.COM's DNS servers. It would be a safe bet to say that that server does NOT allow Dynamic updates, and may not support SRV records. You sure you don't have that IP address set in some NIC's DNS configuration (like on the server)?

I've seen this problem before when someone in the past has implemented hosts and lmhosts files and when something is changed, it doesn't get updated, causing confusion. I'm a firm believer of hosts and lmhosts and always keep an updated record on the network, so if I find one that's wrong, I just copy it down and the files are current. Good luck. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional

"All things are difficult before they are easy."
Thomas Fuller (1608 - 1661) English scholar, preacher.

My bad! I forgot to mention that we do not own vci.com. It appears that NSLOOKUP resolves 205.230.105.115 to timesink.vci.com. We actually own verticalcircuits.com. Our NT 4.0's Domain was VCI. After upgrading to Windows 2000, It applied .COM to the domain name. How or where do I tell Windows 2000 to not look at 205.230.105.115, at have it point to itself instead. This is an extremely gray area for me. Thank You for your time and patience!

DNS maybe? Not quite understanding the problem. Who is your dns name registered with. I had to go to register.com and transfer my name resolution over to another site for my name resolution. Is this what you're talking about? Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional

"All things are difficult before they are easy."
Thomas Fuller (1608 - 1661) English scholar, preacher.

on your DNS server, set the NIC's properties for Primary DNS server to point to itself, that's first. Then make sure all your clients are pointing only to your DNS servers for resolution. Your DNS server should resolve all queries for your local domain, and either forward out to your ISP for internet resolution, or use the internet root servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back