Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2000 Pro or Win XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uecorp

IS-IT--Management
Jul 31, 2002
US
I need to upgrade an office from Netware SB 5.1 server and Win98 workstations.

Windows Server 2003 appears a ways off yet, so I was going to implement Windows 2000 server. But what is the better route to go for workstations? Win 2000 Pro or Win XP?

I had heard there is less hassle with Win 2000 Pro.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks.

Dan

No question, Win2kPro. With SP3 and the updates, it is all you need. XP is only Win2k with a pretty face. The tools you need to run your apps are far more than adequate in Win2k.

By the way the Server 2003 rollout date is 24 April. We are having a demo by MS here that day.

Definitely go with Windows 2000, XP is very very resource hungry, I have a network with 45 W2000 and 9 Win XP, the XP workstations give me no end of trouble, and the users are constantly complaining that they are going slow, they all have much higher spec computers than the ones running Windows 2000, yet they have many more problems. I personally have 2 running W2000 and one running W XP, and I think XP is crap.

Windows 2000. Windows XP Pro is like a childs OS.

It takes a significant amount of time to actually configure it in such as way so that you can control it. Windows 2000 is also tried & tested...

This is also the Windows 2000 forum ;). James Goodman MCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back