Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2000 Pro Network Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mal1981

Technical User
Mar 30, 2001
US
When I right click on My Computer, click on Network Identification and go to properties, I have two options. I can make my PC a member of a domain or a workgroup. What do I want? When I make it a member of a workgroup, I can't access any of the servers on the network. The only way I can do this is by typing in the Administrators. Plus I can't access my email on Exchange unless I type in my username/password/domain all over again. When I try to make it a member of a domain, it won't let me unless I type in the Admin password. How am I supposed to set this up? Thanks! :)

In order to get a Win 2k pro on the network, you need to have rights to add computer to the network. The admin acct has rights to do this. You will need to put in the admin name and password to get it on the network. After that the user of the computer should be able to access the network when he/she logs in.

:cool:

Do I log onto the local machine account or do I log onto the domain account? s-)

I believe you need to log on to the local machine because the machine is not part of a domain and will not recognize the computer.

:cool:

Here's the deal... When I add my computer to the domain I have to put in the Admin password. Ok, I restart. When I go to logon (click on details on the logon screen), the domain defaults to my: computer name(local machine). When I click the drop down arrow right beside this option, I see about 5 different domains (all within my organization) that I have the option of logging into. Why? :)

The pull-down menu is just part of a Cache, Domains of past use. Can be found in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows NT -> Current Version -> Winlogon -> DomainCache. Using regedit.

As far as the default Domain upon logon. This is merely the last successful logon since the system was restarted. You may hide this by selecting the OPTIONS<< button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back