Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2000 Pro. Client Machine takes 35 minutes to boot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark01

Technical User
Jan 17, 2001
US
I have 2 computers. Both are clean install. Windows 2000 Server is running AD. The Server has two NIC cards, one goes to the internet, the other to the other computer. (running NAT) I just made the Win2000 Pro Machine a member of the server domain. Now it takes about 15 minutes to boot up to the login screen and about 20 minutes after to login (on the client machine) It says "Applying personnal settings" after I put the username in.
How can I speed this up?
(Both machines are 300Mhz 128MB, using 100Mbps connection)

Had the same problem, turned out to be a bad default gateway.

I checked the gateway, and its fine.

Is TCP the only protocol that you are running?
If its not then it may be the binding order on one of the NICs.
Are the IP addresses static or Dynamic?
Just out of interest are you running an antivirus on both machines? You may want to defrag the machine that is taking ".. 15 minutes to boot up to the login screen and about 20 minutes after to login" that might be a good start. This would be especially the case if you applied a service pack to the pc, the file system gets very fragmented.

Thats my 5 cents worth

Do you have DNS installed and configured properly if not this will cause the problem on W2K pro is having when contected to AD.

DNS is required for AD and W2K and XP clients.

TCP/IP is the only protocol used. IP addresses are static on server, dynamic on client. No antivirus software is used.

DNS is installed, but I havn't done anything to it after I installed it. I use a DNS server address of another server on the client machine, and internet works ok. What else would I do to configure it?

You need to point the W2K clients at the DNS server and the DNS server needs to list all ther AD services and computer they live on. If you used the wizard and set it up to be AD intergrated it should have created all the entries you need. if not you need to, then point the clients to the internal DNs server then have the DNS server pass on DNS queries to your ISP dns server.

ok

mark,

jjgraf has I think solved your problem - your computer and user login is slow because the client needs DNS to contact the AD.
A functional internal DNS server is essential for doing just about anything in a WIN2k network.

The boot up/login delay is a classic sign of a DNS configuration problem or not able to access the DNS server.

Cheers

hey mark101, did u get this issue resolved? I have the same issue and i will probably try the dns server solution that was suggested, but i wont get the chance to do this till next week.

let me know if u got this resolved
thanks

All of you...I've run into this exact problem, and it is definitely DNS. First time it was a client who's server name was Main, but DNS showed it as MAIN1.DOMAIN.LOCAL. Turns out the server had been dcpromo'd from a Domain Controller back to a member, the name changed and then dcpromo'd back again, but somehow it'd kept its original name. Blew away DNS and reintalled DNS and re-patched the server, this resolved the problem
Second time I ran into this was a client who was pointing his PC's at an external DNS through DHCP. Quick DHCP change for PCs to use internal AD DNS on the Domain Controller and all of a sudden boots went from 20 minutes to less than 3. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back