Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2000 - monitor power saving mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

oxenberg

Programmer
Jul 1, 2002
US
Sometime ago the monitor on my Win2000 system stopped going into power saving mode. Looking for a reason I looked at all the options in the display adapter control panel and noticed that the monitor was noted as Default Monitor.

Meanwhile, I recently I changed video drivers and
once the new driver was installed I noticed that the monitor was recognized as something other than the default, namely 8995684CPD-4201M. Interestingly, the monitor would now enter power saving mode after the desired 15 minute period of inactivity.

Unfoftunately after the next reboot the monitor was back to being recognized as Default Monitor and power saving mode was no longer working. Bizarre!

I'm running SP3 with all latest hotfixes (for better or worse). Any suggestions how I can tweak my system so that the monitor retains power saving mode enablement?

BTW, when I revert to the old video drivers, the same phenomonom occurs, meaning power saving mode and monitor recoginition works right after switching drivers until the next reboot!

An additional note: there are no monitors listed in the device manager in either safe mode or normal mode.

Regards & thanks
Phil

What does it say in Start>Control Panel> Power options?

Turn off monitor after 15 minutes
System Stby - never
Turn off hard disks - never

Is power management enabled in the bios? and do you have any screen savers running?

no screen savers, enabled in bios, like I said immediately after changing video drivers (to newer or reverting back to older, power saving works fine. Monitor is recognized as 8995684CPD-4201M (my Micronpc/sony trinitron 19inch CRT) in the advanced section of the display adapter control panel and power saving mode for monitor works! However, once I reboot monitor recognition is gone and so is power saving mode!

I have two win2000 installations on this system. The monitor is recognized as plug & play and monitor power savong works in the second one! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back