Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2000 marries NetWare5 on the cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpettis

MIS
Mar 11, 2000
US
I'm planning to build myself a network lab <br>
This isn't a production environment though it should model one in small scale.<br>
I'll want to be able to field about 3 servers and be able to set up workstations as needed.<br>
<br>
I envision about 5 machines 3 of which are able bodied servers.<br>
As I build a software demo library I plan to experiment with installations, upgrades and integrations of NetWare (3, 4 and 5) and Windows (NT4, 2000).<br>
<br>
This should include such slick moves as across the wire migration, schema extension, Back Office implementation, restore from tape, NDPS etc.<br>
<br>
For my lab I'll need a number of servers capable of running Win2000 which can also run NetWare5. Once I find a single machine that can do either of these I'm confident it can handle every previous version of NT or NetWare.<br>
<br>
My plan is to buy about 3 such machines. <br>
This plan gives me flexibility in terms of NOS combinations. I can set up domains and or replicas, combine different versions of NetWare etc.<br>
It allows me to Ghost configurations so that projects can be set up quickly from previous configurations of a NOS, saving setup time in future experimentation. <br>
Working with a single hardware platform, I should become very familiar with the nature of my machines allowing me to control for and discount the hardware factors.<br>
Having one hardware platform let's me swap hardware between machines without concern for compatibility so that upgrades and enhancements can move from unit to unit.<br>
<br>
Now the kicker, PRICE! <br>
Both Win2000 and NetWare5 say they want Pentium class machines for the NOS. Finding a cheap Pentium is very difficult. No one seems to be selling PII 300 or below anymore. <br>
Now the cheap choices are Intel Celeron, Cyrix and AMD.<br>
<br>
After browsing Microsoft’s website I see that they support a number of Celeron processors for Windows2000.<br>
<br>
Novell is not wiling to be so clear and will only specify that they require a Pentium Class Processor.<br>
<br>
Does anyone have any insight into running NetWare5 or Windows 2000 on Cyrix, Celeron or AMD processors?<br>
<br>
Thanks in advance.<br>

Try egghead.com and ubid.com. Last November I purchased a new Compaq 6500 with 128k ram and one (of four) ppro 200 processors (1mb cache) for $1100 (3 year Compaq factory warranty). Three 9.1 scsi III drives were $1200 and a Compaq Raid controller for $500. Then I found a second ppro 200 with the same stepping code for $150 on Ebay. Total cost under $2900. This system is identical to another server in my system that I purchased 18 months ago for $22,500 from Compaq. Look around and you can find CPUs and memory configurations that will solve your problem.<br>
<br>

Check out the YES! list at developer.novell.com I know from experiance that novell 5 does not work well with anything other than a full intel pentium. This can be a p75 through PIII 850. Celerons and non intel cpu's give all sorts of &quot;funnys&quot;.

Hmmm... here's a second opinion. I'm doing pretty much the same thing and two out of three of my boxes are AMD. I run Win2K on an AMD K6-III/450, and I'm in the process of upgrading my NetWare 5 box to 5.1 - it's running on an AMD K6-2/300. The only Intel box in the house is my NT4 machine which is a dual PPro/200. The AMD chips both run on Soyo 5EH super seven boards. I've had good luck with all - no unusual problems or gremlins that I haven't seen at work on my PIII based servers. Naturally, Novell's 'Yes' list and Microsoft's equivalent are the final answer to the question, but when you're on a shoestring budget you make do with what you can afford.<br>Happy networking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back