Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2000 issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

technidiva

IS-IT--Management
May 8, 2001
US
Ok, here is my issue and I would love if someone could help me with it!

I have a laptop running W2K. It blue screened on me and I was able to use ROxio Go Back to restore it. Now I want to run a OS repair on the laptop just to make sure that there are no corrupt files. I run W2K install disk and hit the upgrade option and it comes back with an error message "An application has not finished installing, please restart the system and let the application finish installing."

Ok,this application is no where to be found. I ran a virus check on it and it came up with nothing. I checked the event viewer and task manager and there was nothing noticable in there. I checked the processes in the task manager and didn't see anything listed. I checked out the Config.sys and the autoexec. bat and didn't notice anything unusual in there. I am running out of places to look for a halfway installed app! And this user doesn't remember installing any apps lately!

OK, short of wiping out this system (I don't want to do that yet) and rebuilding it... can someone help me out with some other options?

Thanks!
~T

Try looking in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

or

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

or

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

Sometimes the programs installing will leave a tag here.

I just realised I posted in the wrong forum...sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back