Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win2000 Freezes on REBOOT!!!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

devastator

IS-IT--Management
Jun 19, 2001
US
I got this problem after the last critical update that Microsoft posted on their Windows Update site.

Does it on my work PC and home PC.

Did you have anything running...like antivirus...while you were updating the two systems?

I am researching right now to see if I can find any documented problems on this ....
Do you know which update you installed?
Kimber

The more I learn, the more I realize how much more there is to know!

Had Norton Corporate Edition running @ work and Norton 2002 @ home.

Never had a problem before with Norton interferring with updates before......

The machines just go through the motions of shutting down and then just sits there with a blue screen and mouse cursor. I can then just push the power button to turn off the pc but that is not acceptable.

Thanks,

Drew

Okay here is the scenario now. The machines do reboot eventually, they take about 3-5 minutes to do so though, similiar to a server.

Now could this be related to the fact that I enabled some Local Security Policy settings?

Which security settings did you modify?
Try manually turning OFF the antivirus program before you reboot the machine, and see if this makes a difference.
Will keep looking Kimber

Just enabled some of the audit features for logon failures and password options. Also enabled "do not show last logon username".

None of those should have caused any issues.

I can't say for sure what you modified as far as auditing, but if you documented everything you changed, you should be able to change them back and see if that is indeed what caused the slowdown.
Auditing can slow things down, but it depends what you have enabled.
Did you modify these settings on both machines?
Kimber

Yeah, modified success and failure logons but that was it.

I have yet to apply SP3. Have heard negative / positive so I have just been sitting on it for now.

Have you tried with success or failure any of the suggestions above?
Please post in order to direct my research into this....still looking. Kimber

Same scenario with Anti Virus disabled. No big deal since I don't reboot that often anyway I guess. Loaded SP3 and still have the same problem. I was surprised that the SP didn't cause any problems or issues.

Drew

If you go to windowsupdate.com you can change your view of the page to show installed updates and choose to uninstall.
I think at this point would be a good option to try.

Still looking.

Kimber

Good point.

Thanks for the time........deserves a * for effort!

Why thank you friend....

We will keep trying our options until we get it straightened out!
Kimber

I have this very same problem; have had it for a while. I started with Win2000Pro on the system and it was present before the services packs. I did a fresh install on a new HD. Sometimes it will restart or shutdown with a certain device or software installation. I have had to reinstall win2000pro [cause I don't know any better] when I was getting a reboot upon startup the other day, and it restarted itself. I have the newest drivers/software for hardware and BIOS; this problem has been 'there' for a while. Maybe there is something in common with my system and the other gentleman's:

KD266 Athlon 900mHz o/c >1000mHz
(3) 128 pc1333 sdram
Win2000pro w/ service pack 3
Seagate IV Barracuda 40GB
Lite On 16x dvd
Lite On 24x cdrw
Midiman Audiophile 24/96
Sis315t 64mb video

I also run Norton Corporate but I just got it a month ago. I do have a lot of audio applications and sometimes one or the other locks up when it tries to access the soundcard; with the monitor mixer for example.

DC

I am still leaning toward my first instinct with your freeze/reboot issues.
I think perhaps there is a hardware issue coincidental with the update. Far be it from me to say the update didn't cause it, but I am not finding it documented anywhere yet.
I will continue to look when I have time.

In your case DC, I would pull out the sound card and see if your problem goes away or not. Bad or failing cards and power supply are just a couple of things that could cause the issues you are dealing with.

I will post again if I find anything.
Kimber

Hello Hello...problen solved?????

I just change some BIOS settings. I put my CAS? down to 2 [instead of 3] and set the mem on FAST. I also enabled a Quick Power up feature because the sys was trying to run like 9 mem tests on startup and I kept have to hit escape. I also changed some power saving features for the monitor. If the system was set for suspend [within Win2000] it froze up. I changed [in BIOS] it to blank screen instead of...I can't remember I am at work now. Only 3 or 4 reboots but it's working now...weird. I plan to flash the BIOS tomorrow cause I realized I haven't done it in a while when I checked IWILL's site. I am leaning towards the hardware issue on this...maybe the monitor Dell [sony] 21", don't have the model here. I still have to do some more tests, like running all different peripherals for a bit, closing everything and then try rebooting/shutting down. I am really just "hack"ing away here.
jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back