Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win2000 client - restricted access

Status
Not open for further replies.

prigro

IS-IT--Management
Jan 3, 2002
CA
I am trying to set up a windows 2000 client pc to have "restricted" access locally. The particular user has a habit of installing whatever he feels like and causing many issues on that pc. Most of my machines are set up as "administrator" locally which don't have the problem I'm experiencing. When I set the win2000 user to restricted and log out or restart that pc the users files (documents and settings/user) are all deleted. When I log in again its like logging in for the first time where it show the "welcome to windows" screen, "connect to internet", etc. Is this a domain issue or a client pc setting, or something else? I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this question.

Okay can you clarify. Does this user logon with an administrative account? Does this machine logon to a domain?

Sorry, I guess I didn't give enough info. The machine logs on to a NT4 domain. On the domain the user is not an administrator.

Yes he may not be an administrator on the domain, but is his domain account in the local administrator's group on the machine.

I think I've got it figured out. I had that user set up on the domain as part of groups "domain user" and "domain guest". When I removed him from the "domain guest" group the profile on the client stays. I assume that a domain guests profiles are automatically deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back