Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win200 Driver for S3 TrioV64+ VGA builtin on 8862-51Y (Netfinity 5500-

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhmegaStar

IS-IT--Management
Oct 22, 2003
DK
Hi All,

Got a Netfinity 5500 M20 (8662-51Y) with;
4x P3-Xeon @ 550
2GB Ram
Intel Pro/100+ Dual Server Adaptor
ServeRaid 3 (6.10.24) 6 disks..

I'm having problems locating a Suiftable driver for the built-in SVGA card (S3 TrioV64+). The driver installed by Win2k install routine is only capable of 640x480 and 800x600 in 16 colours....
I need something that will allow me to run at least 800x600 in 256 colours (required by ServeRaid manager for win2k)......

Anybody who can help me with a solution / drivers ??

/Henrik

I just checked IBM's server proven list and the drivers list for this server. Windows 2000 is supported, but there are no drivers listed for the S3 on Windows 2000 os. That should mean the drivers provided by microsoft is all you need.

I would suggest taking a look at device manager and see if there is an error on the video device and go from there.

Dan

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've allready tried uninstalling the device (there are no arrers), automatically selecting the driver and manually selecting the driver. The end result is the same, I only have two low-res options - both in 16 colours... It's very strange as afaik. the cars should be capable of 800x600@256colours - at least...

Nobody out there is running a NF5500 on Win2k ???

/Henrik

OhmegaStar,

Saw your post and was very interested. I have the same type of server and went as far as reinstalling one as a test for you to see if I got the same results. Well, I am using thhe built in windows driver and I am capable of 256 colors @ 1024 by 768. I have the ServRAID manager software installed. Here is the details of the driver which hopefully will help you. I got this info directly from my device manager:

Card: S3 Trio64V2
Driver: Microsoft 2000 Publisher
Driver Date: 11/18/1999
Driver Version: 5.0.2184.1

Driver Details:
c:\winnt\system32\drivers\s3m.sys
c:\winnt\system32\s3mtrio.dll
c:\winnt\system32\s3mvirge.dll

Hope this helps you.......Stiddy

Hi Stiddy,

Thats odd, I'm glad that you get the proper resolutions.. I'm also running on the dsame drivers & versions...

If you still can check your working system can you tell me what you get in the Adaptor Information box on the adaptor pane/tab on the desktop settings.. ??

I'm Getting;

Adapter Type: S3 Trio64V2

Chip Type: S3 TrioV2 / SGRAM Memory
DAC Type: S3 DAC
Memory Size: 1 MB
Adapter String: <uanvailable>
Bios Information: <uanvailable>

On Another note... Is there a Windows 2000 HAL for this model netfinity ?

/Henrik

I'm running the same server here and have no problems...take a look at the installed monitor. If it's the default monitor, try specifying the correct monitor.

Hi,

I tried changing the default monitor to the attached Eizo FlexScan F57 - It did not have any effect :-(

/Henrik

win2k should support 1024x768 @ 256 colors. you may neeed to go into the monitors config and have it list unsupported resolutions for it to work properly.

When I installed win2k3 on the machine I had to add a vidcard to get rid of some performance problems. The vid card will only work in the very first slot next to the cpu cage.

Hi,

Thanks for the post.

I have been researching away at the problem for some time now - and the problem seems to be that the win2k server running is an upgraded winnt 4 server - cloned onto this hardware..

That mess = a reinstall :-(

/Henrik

Don't know if anyone has suggested this, but you can try dropping in a PCI video card. It's presence will automatically disable the on-board video, and cause Windows to detect the new adapter.

Assuming Windows correctly loads a driver for it (that is displaying correctly), you can then pull the card back out, and let Windows re-detect the on-board adapter.

I'd say you've got about a 70/30 chance against this working... :)

David@Dimarc.com

Cool Suggestion - Next Service window of that Server will include that trick :)

/Henrik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back