Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win200 DHCP Reservation in 50/50 Environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

MastaUTM

IS-IT--Management
Jun 6, 2004
GB
Dear All,

I have 2 DHCP servers where the scopes is split between them(1-125/128-250).

There seems to be a conflict of opinion in my office, on the subject of Reservations.

If Server A looks after scope (1-125)
and Server B looks after scope (128-250) we put routers etc above 250!

If I place a reservation for a network printer at lets say 249 as well as putting it on Server B should I Not also put Server A?

I appreciate that server A has 128-250 Excluded from its scope, but doesnt it deal with reservation differently?

It would sort of make sense, what if server B went down what would happen to the Reservation then?

Hope you can help

Thanks In Advance

Have you tried a superscope that includes both a and b, but exlude all on a that include 128-250, and exlude all on b that include 1 - 125. The reservations will be in the superscope. This way a will only hand out 1-125 and not 128-250 and b will hand out 128-250 and not 1-125. Help?

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

Thanks,

so doing that will i need to place the reservation on BOTH servers?

Regards

Yes you will need to put reservations on both servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back