Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIN XP WONT STARTUP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eevaleena

Technical User
Oct 25, 2003
US
Ok, I made very stupid mistakes, and if theres anything that can help me solve this problem, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Anyways, something was wrong with my mouse and keyboard in my WinXP... so I tried everything I could. I installed Windows 2000 (cuz thats the only OS cd i had on me) on the SAME harddrive (no partition), but to a different folder (Windows 2000)...win xp is in folder winNT. Now, I cant boot up windows xp cuz ill get an error screen. I can only enter in windows 2000, and also, none of the programs work in 2000 cuz they are based on windows xp. safe mode wont load for xp either.

how can i restore my windows xp and get rid of my windows 2000 without formatting my whole hard drive? i want to keep everything, except 2000. anyone out there that can help??

Here's a few articles pertaining somewhat to your dilemma....

Also others will be along with more complete advice..
hang in there
[bigsmile]

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

have you tried using the "repair" function on the xp cd if you do boot into the cd and press enter to setup xp and only after windows finds the xp installed use the option to repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back