Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win XP suddenly crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

samuca

Technical User
Mar 16, 2004
BR
Hi,

I have MS Windows XP Professional SP2
Intel Core2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz, 1GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT

Recently it´s been crashing all the time no matter what software is running or task i´m performing.

Cheking a previous thread (i could fix part of the problem using event view, spyware and registry clean.

After that the system failed to start a couple of times but then has started normaly.

I thought the problem was solved then i launched a game, wich is a software that requires memory, and it crashed in five minutes.

I checked again event view and there wasn´t anything strange.

So i figured it could be memory related. I used memtest86 and it returned no erros.

What is this trouble about then?

You could check system files for corruption, by running the following command from the RUN BOX (or CMD window):

SFC /SCANNOW

and have your XP cd at hand...

but before that run a full scan of your C: partition for file system corruption and or damaged sectors, in a CMD window type:

CHKDSK C: /F

if all else fails, then a repair installation might solve the problem...

How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP

you will only loose all the Hotfixes installed, all your installed software and data will be left alone...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Is the inside of your computer dirty? Yes/no, I would still re-seat all your cards (carefully) including your CPU and RAM.

Any messages associated with these many crashes, are you seeing Blue Screens and Stop Errors? What are the symptoms that you are seeing?

As a test try disabling everything to do with Nvidia, via MsConfig, and see if you still crash, re-enable anything you uncheck after the test.

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Could be a malware sending out spam mail by the zillion --> the resultig open connections could be eating up your memory..? (even if the network is disconnected, your PC will still attempt to create the connection...)
Type "netstat" at the command prompt and see if there is activity you cannot identify...
If you see some destination IP addreses, you could open a Browser and try going directly to the base URL..(ignore sub domains)..to identify who that destination IP address is.
If you do see a ton of activity that you have not initiated, there may be the culprit...and there would be a number of solutions, if that is indeed the case...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back