Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIN XP SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlinkingLeaf

Technical User
Jun 27, 2003
US
Alright, first off, I'm sorry to say but I have XP Home Edition and since theres no forum for Home Edition I choose the closest one I could find.
Anyway, this is just a question about the SP2 updated, which I installed yesterday. The problem I had was that after it was installed and I rebooted like it suggested, it booted part way and then froze up with the following error:

Windows is unable to load because the following file is missing or corrupted :

C:\Windows\system32\config\system.sys

Please inster the orgainl Windows CD and press 'R' to repair the file.

Which of course I did, which didn't work, I had to use the other repair option which deleted all my hotfixes and SP2, putting me back to SP1...
I am curious if anyone out there has had the same problem or similar, also if anyone has a suggestion for what to do to fix this problem if I attempt to reinstall SP2, which of course I'm not doing anytime soon, but still.

BlinkingLeaf,

My first suggestion would be to run sfc /scannow with your Windows XP CD in the drive. That should restore the missing file, and put you back (mostly) to a clean install of Windows XP. Then you can install the hotfixes and service packs from Windows Update.

Wishdiak

You may also want to see if you can boot to the last known good configuration. Press f8 when you see the winxp logo and it should give you a list of options. If you can boot to last know good, then boot it up and reinstall SP2.

I've recovered most of the hotfixes (Been up since six getting them) So I am about back to where I was before SP2,
I am leary of reinstalling the SP2, as someone suggested, for fear of the same problem occuring.
Do you have a suggestion for what might have caused the problem in the first place or a way to prevent it from happening again?

You should have installed SP2 instead of all the Hot fixes.
This would have saved you like 15 hours.

All it takes is one piece of software that didn't get tested by Microsoft to make something go wrong. Everyone always wants to blame Microsoft right off the bat, (which isn't always a bad thing) but you have to remember that if Microsoft was the only people making software, these issues would 'probably' never happen.

It's the millions of other programmers that have to keep up.
This is unfortunate. But that's the way it goes.

BlinkingLeaf,

Are you certain that the error was caused by C:\Windows\system32\config\system.sys and not by C:\Windows\system32\config\system?

I'm still recovering from the latter, and the end result is that the last Maxtor drive I will ever buy is suffering the fate of every one I've bought before: dying.

Wishdiak

The guru, you make a good point, but since SP2 caused my system not to boot I was unwilling to tempt the fates just then. I am not blaming Microsoft, I'm just seeking answers.

Wishdiak: Yes, I am sure, I wrote down the exact error that I recieved (always do) I am praying now since md drive is a Maxtor that it isn't about to die...but yes I am absouletely sure that it was C:\Windows\system32\config\system.sys and not C:\Windows\system32\config\system

I would worry about that Maxtor drive as well. I have steared clear of Maxtor for many years due to so many bad batches. I stick with Western Digital drives. I prefer reliability over 2400 more RPM (which could be their major flaw).

I am yet to see any reports of SP2 failing to install on a clean install and format of XP. I recommend this as a way of getting SP2 installed in circumstances where normal procedures fail.

This is a good read too.

What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2

TheGuru: Maxtor seemed like a good choice at the time, its actually been a good hdd. Guess I lucked out. But the problem is since I did what I had to get the system to boot, its taking ten minutes instead of like the two or three it used to.

Linney: Well, this wasn't a clean install or format of XP (about seven months old) So that could have been the problem, but I'm still a little doubtful. I was planning a a clean install of XP sometime this weekend (it was decided after sp2 messed up the system) so I'll try your suggestion.

Anyone else have any suggestions before I attempt a clean install of everything?

My friend has a laptop that seems to be totaly bogged down since, I'll ask him how it's going. and see if he has fixed it yet.

No, I'm not entirely sure what I should look for, I've never had to check the event viewer for errors before...What exactly would happen if it did have errors?

BlinkingLeaf,

Here are a few links.

Understanding Event Viewer

To view more details about an event

To search for specific events

To filter events in an event log

I hope that you're not having the same issue that I am, which is that a Maxtor drive still under warranty is failing. Since you have a Maxtor drive, you should download the PowerMax utility from maxtor.com, which you'll need to obtain an error code if you need to send it back.

Wishdiak

To get further information about any error look in your Event viewer.

Look in the System or Application folder. You can get to the Event Viewer via right click My Computer icon and select Manage.

Any errors logged in the Event Viewer can be expanded by double clicking on the error line.

Take any event error I.D. number and search for it on these sites.

I have checked the event viewer for errors, compared them...There were errors but they were all registered for after the Service Pack was installed (Successfully) matter of fact the first error shows up right after I preform the required reboot.

According to MS, be sure to do a complete A-V and Spyware check before trying to install SP2.

I wish to thank everyone for they're helpful suggestions, I reinstalled sp2 and this time it worked just fine. I am still uncertain about what happened, it was probably a freak accidnet.
Still thanks to everyone for their help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back