Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win XP SP2 Cant download 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

notbrokedontchangeit

Technical User
Jun 21, 2005
GB
Hi,
I have an old PC with XP prosp2 on it and it works great except that I can not download anything on it. It is connected via DSL and the MTU is 1492.
When I try to download it just hangs and then the server resets I try to run it and it doesn't run the program.
It also doesn't show the icons when browsing either; I don't know if this is related?
Thanks in advance

check ur ie settings, extras/ieoptions/security that filedownload is enabled and in extras/ieoptions/"more"/multimedia that show pics is enabled

I have looked at those and they seem to be okay.
Any other suggestions; I have even gone to ie7 to try and change it but it made no difference.
Thanks

Can you access any sites?
No = check your connection (netstat -rn) from the command prompt. Have an address? if not check the router/switch. if yes can you ping anything? netstat -e will show any errors the NIC might have.

Yes (my guess) = can you navigate to windows update manually? If not call Microsoft, they'll support patching for free.

Good luck!

The answer to that is yes I can access sites but can't download any updates which is driving me nuts

We need some clarification and more information here. You can't download any files from any site (even .zip, .jpg, .exe) or is it certain files and/or certain sites? Or are you only referring to Windows Update?

I can't download anything at all from any site it starts with downloaded 0% and just stays at that until the server resets.

Do you have a firewall, proxy server, anonymizing software, or security software that could be causing conflicts? Did it ever work or did it just start happening?

I was given the PC and can only assume it has always done it. Does that mean it's terminal?

Have you tried Firefox or Opera? Have you looked for any of the software types that I mentioned above?

Look in add/remove programs, any download managers installed? If so, get rid of them.
Launch IE go to tools > programs and reset your internet settings. Also delete all cookies, files (including offline files) and history.
Do you have EasyCleaner? It's a great tool from ToniArts and 1 thing it can do is cleanup your registry.
Also. if you have the OS CD can you do a detect and repair?
You could also try booting in safe mode with networking and grabbing the updates that way.

1 more thing, if you received this system used and have the OS CD, I'd highly suggest rebuilding from scratch.

Good luck, let us know how you're doing!
-Chris

Thanks guys I picked up a registry claener and used that and that seemed to do the trick so I can now do downloads. Thanks for the advise much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back