Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win xp slow after reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcs800

IS-IT--Management
Apr 9, 2002
US
I have a pc that has been running xp pro for about a year with no trouble, then I reformatted and installed xp pro from the same cd, and now it is sooo slow. It takes forever just to start control panel or any apps. CPU usage is not 100% either, so it's not like the processor is being floored.
The only difference is that I have two hard drives now, but have unplugged the 2nd to see if that was by chance the cause, and it is still behaving the same.
I have all SP's and updates done.
AMD XP2200+
512MB Ram
K7N420 Pro Board

Eric VanLandingham
The Bargain Monkey

SERVICE PACK 3 HAS A KNOWN ISSUE TO DO WITH SPEED OF PC..
REMOVE SP3 REINSTALL SP1

SP2???? WTF?

SP2 has been delayed till late 2004...the latest is SP1a....

then what the hell is madpcer talking about sp3? You are right, no sp2 yet either.
Issue remains, my pc is still slow as hell with no apparent reason for it.

Eric VanLandingham
The Bargain Monkey

Questions:

. Reload, as in "clean" bare drive installation, or repair re-installation?

. Make and model of computer and/or motherboard;

. Big question: Why did you reload? Was it to solve a specific problem?

Bill

I format and reload windows about once a year because i want to, not to solve any problem. I install xp on computers all week every week. Yet this time the computer is bogged out constantly, but the task manager says cpu is 0%-3%, and ram useage is normal.
There seems to be something else going on.
AMD XP2200+
512MB Ram
MSI K7N420 Pro board.

Eric VanLandingham
The Bargain Monkey

I found something similar couple weeks back, and I was convinced that the harddisk is bad, after I cloned it to a new one, it worked perfectly.

Nforce driver is up to date. No unknown devices, i did do a check disk at boot and it took about 30 minutes, now it seems to be much quicker, so i think there were some bad clusters on the drive, must have developed when i was reloading i guess.
So for future readers, i would say do all the hard drive tests and fixes before reloading again.
Thanks for the replies.

Eric VanLandingham
The Bargain Monkey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back