Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win XP - Repair Operation Failed 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isnork

Technical User
Mar 5, 2002
CA
I have just installed Win XP on my home PC. I am/was connected to the net via a Cable Modem. Everything was working fine after the install for approximately 2 restarts. Upon the 3rd restart I now cannot connect to the internet. When I attempt to repair my LAC I receive the following error: The following steps of the repair operation failed:
Renewing the IP address
Refreshing all DHCP leases and re-registering DN...
Please contact your network Administrator or ISP

The drivers for my network card have been re-installed several times, I have even re-installed XP. My ISP has no idea.

I am about to replace the Network card as I am running out of options. Anyone have any thoughts.

Got a similar problem. Can't get my network connection working. I'm connecting through a cable modem. Have tried repair (through XP and manually through cmd prompt), tried using static addresses, netsh steps from MSFT, even restored to a previous time when I could connect. I tried winsockxpfix. I must be missing something simple. My problems all started when I installed SP2. Help...

scooterman2,

Wired or wireless connection?
Make and model # of network adapter.
Do an Ipconfig /all and post the results here.
Directly connected to the cable modem, or is there a router?

bcastner,

Originally the laptop was connected through an SMC router (barricade 7004AWBR). My recent troubleshooting has been firectly connecting the cable modem to the laptop (through an internal card - Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated...). The interesting thing is that even when I disable the LAN connection and then try connecting through the wireless router, I can't access the SMC setup page (usually accessable through an internal IP address: 192.168.123.254).

Is there an easy way to paste the IPconfig /all results? I have a screen shot of it but can't paste it into this post. Could I email it? Otherwise, I can retype the whole thing or just let you know the pieces that are key.

Thanks for your continued assistance!

In a DOS box such as the use of the ipconfig /all, highlight the text using the left mouse cursor, then move to the the little DOS icon at very most top left of the DOS box (looks like c:\). Right click, choose Edit, and then choose copy. You now have a clipboard copy of the DOS box display. Flip back to the Forum and Paste the entry as a reply.

This is the current config. If I try to repair or ipconfig /renew, the IP address either goes to 169.254.x or 0.0.0.0.

here are the ipconfig settings..

C:\Documents and Settings\A>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : A
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Con
troller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-1F-A2-CA-B2
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.38
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 207.69.188.185

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless WLAN 1350 WLAN Mini-PC
I Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-90-96-AE-41-7F

C:\Documents and Settings\A>ping yahoo.com
Ping request could not find host yahoo.com. Please check the name and try again.

If your TCP/IP settings for the adapter have DHCP disabled then the following only makes sense if you are setting a Static IP, and DNS server:

(Quote from above):
[tt]

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.38
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 207.69.188.185

[/tt]

Please check the settings for Internet Connection (TCP/IP), Properties. Both 'obtain an IP address automaticly', and 'obtain a DNS server address automaticly' should be enabled and any static assignment removed.

You need to reboot to have this setting change become effective.

ok now i'm having this problem, I had it once before and the WinsockXPFix fixed it, but now it won't fix it. I'm running a cable modem to a router then to 2 computers, the one computer is connected, i'm using this one now but the other cannot. I tried everything on this thread and nothing works, I get the 169.x.x.x IP, then I go in a erase the winsock and winsock2 in the regedit and reinstall the TCP/IP and get a 192.x.x.x IP and it says its receiving and sending but there is no connection and as soon as I apply the fix it gives me the 169.x.x.x IP again, I swear I'm going insane with this...worked on this problem for like 3 days when I fixed it with the WINsockXPFix but its now day number 2 with no luck!!! Please help

bcastner,

I had done this before and decided in my origianl post to show the config the last know time it was working. When I obtain the addresses automatically I get the following ipconfig settings:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : A
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless WLAN 1350 WLAN Mini-PC
I Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-90-96-AE-41-7F

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Con
troller
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.71.213
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Any ideas? Thanks for your patience and support

stenix,

What a kind message.
Thank you.

Best wishes,
Bill Castner

I've had a similar problem.
I was connecting wirelessly to a router for a long time, but then there was a pause of about two month, and when again I started the computer, it refused to make a connection. I connected it through LAN and always got the same problem. IP Address 0.0.0.0 and renewal failed on both wireless and LAN connections.
I've tried everything mentioned above (except reinstalling windows) and I got LAN to work, but wireless still gave me the same old thing.

I have a WinXP Home SP1 on my laptop, and I used to have a Norton Antivirus (since people associate this problem with it often, but i had internet for a long time after i got rid of it).

I ended up deleting all DependentOnService for DHCP (the registry path mentioned above) and I stopped TCP/IP NetBIOS Help Service. I set up static ip and rebooted.

After I restarted, internet was working. TCP/IP NetBios help was running and so was DHCP Client (before it didn't, said one of the depencies wasn't). I set ip to configure automatically (don't know if it made any difference) and internet was still working. IpConfig /all tells me though that DHCP is disabled and that NetBios over TCP/IP is also disabled.

Now, I don't know exactly what happened, but as long as I can go online from my bed, I'm happy.

Hope this helps somebody.

I am having this problem also. I have 4 computers (2 2000, 1 XP sp1 and 1 XP sp2) connected through a hub/cable modem. Everything was working fine until the cable modem died. The cable modem was replaced and three of the computers work fine. The one that doesn't was being used at the time the modem died. I replaced the Ethernet card first to see if it was a HW problem and no change. I have the 169.254.x.x address when using DHCP. I tried the static addresses listed above and still no success. I ran the WinsockXPFix program and no success. I even tried the netsh commands (even though WinsockXPFix executes them) and no change. Any more suggestions?

I too had this problem but i fixed it with the help of the google, the one-place solution for all problems.. :)

synopsis:
1. delete the keys in registry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2
2. Restart the machine
3. Right Click on "network connections"-> properties->install->protocol->Add->"Have Disk"->and type "c:\Windows\Inf" on the directory location->On the list of available protocols, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)->Restart the computer.

Did you check the over-obvious? When I had this problem, what I found was that somehow, my pc had lost its computername... without that, the above solutions will not work. Once I had given my pc a name, then everything was restored... Try it, it would have saved me a week's worth of googling...

debonairOne

I look in the mirror and what do I see...

Hey Everyone,

I have tried everything so far on this topic to fix the very same problem. I have set my ip config to the following:

Host Name: z
Primary Dns Suffix:
Node Type: Unknown
IP Routing Enabled: No
WINS Proxy Enabled: No
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 8:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
Description: Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter(LNE100TX v4) #2
Physical Address: 00-0C-41-1D-5F-A7
Dhcp Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address: 169.254.136.42
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway:

Then...when I try to repair my connection it says to me "The following steps of the repair operation filed: Renewing the IP address. Please contact your network administrator or ISP." So..then when I tried "ipconfig /renew" it says: "An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection 8: An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket."

Perhaps this info is helpful...when I set my IP to a static address as suggested in one of the posts, I can actually "repair" my connection...but still no internet.

I am desperate for some guidance.

I have not read through all of the threads but have you thought about possibly a virus or spyware infection. I just worked on a box that could not get to the internet. Tried restore....drivers...nothing. Found that could ping web ip addresses but could not resolve any addresses. Even if manually set would not work. After removing 600 pieces of spyware it started working again......just a thought....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back