Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win XP - Repair Operation Failed 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isnork

Technical User
Mar 5, 2002
CA
I have just installed Win XP on my home PC. I am/was connected to the net via a Cable Modem. Everything was working fine after the install for approximately 2 restarts. Upon the 3rd restart I now cannot connect to the internet. When I attempt to repair my LAC I receive the following error: The following steps of the repair operation failed:
Renewing the IP address
Refreshing all DHCP leases and re-registering DN...
Please contact your network Administrator or ISP

The drivers for my network card have been re-installed several times, I have even re-installed XP. My ISP has no idea.

I am about to replace the Network card as I am running out of options. Anyone have any thoughts.

Weary,

There is little cause to reinstall XP.

Two thoughts, but keep us all informed as to your progress:

. Thought #1 has to do with this:
Workaround:
Start, Run, cmd
netsh int ip interface reset resetlog.txt
netsh int ip set address DHCP
exit

Reboot and try again.

. Though #2:

Under TCP/IP Properties, set a static IP for a little while, and then revert to DHCP. I do not know what network segment you are using, for most small routers:

IP: 192.168.1.253
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Set a default DNS server to the router IP, usually: 192.168.1.1

I'm in the same boat, bcastner. I have tried everything in this thread thus far, and I'm still up the creek.

Any other suggestions?

Writing from the functioning internet connection now!

The first option, the workaround, didn't work -- but once I tried setting the static IP and DNS, worked like a charm! I could have sworn that I tried it before, but who knows, perhaps I entered a number wrong or something..

Anyway, thanks SO MUCH for the help, I really appreciated it!!

Bcastner,
Thanks for the thoughts... :)
#1 was new to me, however I have had success with #2 before reading your post.

My problem is that my IP (in Win XP) continually (about every 10-20 minutes) reverts to 0.0.0.0 and I must switch manual/automatic a couple time to get it to work.

Honestly, I believe this problem began after turning off some services that I thought (from a MaximumPC article) to be unneccesary.
Now I have the task of trying to figure out which one caused the problem... (I was bad and did not record which ones I turned off!@)
If you have any suggestion as to which service might be the culprit, I would appreciate it...

Mike

bcastner....

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.
that winsockfix is amazing, and finally did the trick (even after microsoft's help, running "netsh int ip interface reset", removing all network components (well, not tcp/ip), reinstalling NIC drivers, and on and on and on).

I guess the fresh winsock stack included in the utility did the trick.

THANK YOU AGAIN.
cueball

I've gone through all these steps but nothing works. Even the winsock fix isn't working. I have an icon at the bottom of the screen that says I'm connected, but I cannot connect to the Internet. I'm on a network and all the other computers are working. I've tried transposing their IP addresses to my computer and tried the default ones from above. Please help! If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I've tried reinstalling Windows XP and that doesn't work either. This has happened before and a techie guy from my cable company came out and fixed it in five minutes so I know it should be something easy but I don't know what. Please help if possible!
Thanks.

I've been having this same problem for ages:

Isnork said:
When I attempt to repair my local area connection I receive the following error:

The following steps of the repair operation failed:
Renewing the IP address
Refreshing all DHCP leases and re-registering DN...
Please contact your network Administrator or ISP

The IP address was showing as 0.0.0.0

I tried everything above but to no avail - however, this did the trick:

[ul]
[li]Right click My Computer (on desktop), and click Manage.[/li]
[li]Double click Services and Applications.[/li]
[li]Double click Services.[/li]
[li]Right click DHCP Client and click start.[/li]
[li]Double click DHCP Client and set the Startup type to Automatic.[/li][/ul]

That should do the trick.

Regards, Phil Morgan :)

having the same probs here, initially installing cox highspeed internet. Tried the above, no avail, any other solutions??

Hi Folks, Boy do i hate BILL GATES or maybe take a step back and say oh yes i love the bullock cart days... anyway here is what i found out ..after trying all that you wonderful folks contributed here.
I have a laptop with wireless card and a router(with another pc in home network). I had this ip renew issue and i tried, 1)uninstall and reinstall the drivers for the wireless adapter, No Luck, 2)I tried reinstalling XP, no Luck, 3)Reformatted and reinstalled just to get the hell going ..No luck 4) I tried restoring..No luck and then i almost gave up and thought of buying a new card ... but then i tried the following
1)I checked the system information from start > programs>accessories>system tools and noticed in the components >network >adapters that there were adapters installed , yet the dhcp server address for the wireless card was not correct , in fact the address should be 192.168.0.1 and it was 255.255.255.255 , there was another card which was sitting with right dhcp address. So i went to the control panel> system > hardware > device manager and disabled this other ethernet adapter . Then i turned off the DHCP service (right click my computer > manage> services&applications > services and then turn off the DHCP client). 2)Then i uninstalled the driver for the wireless card , reinstalled the drivers, rebooted and was relieved the internet connection was back on.. Boy was i happy

I havent reactivated the other ethernet card for now(i am scared :) but that shud be ok though)

So there it goes, hope this saves some grief to others

Cheers after about 8 hours of continuous effort

Venu

A friend of mine had problems with his Internet connection. Appearantly, the DNS didn't work. I suggested the winsock utility recommended by bcastner in this forum and that did the trick. Kudos to bcastner.

Hey bcastner...

Is it a good feeling that what you posted in April of 2003 has blessed a man(a very tired, frustrated man) after 3+ hours of troubleshooting? I can't thank you enough. The WinsockXPFix did the trick. It was so messed up that I couldn't even install Norton Antivirus.

Anyway, I tip my hat to you and hope to help you or more likely someone else in return.

You just simply rock my friend.

Sincerely Yours,
Dann "Gilldog

Dann "Gilldog",

It is a nice feeling, and a big reason I spend the time in user Forums such as Tek-Tips. To be honest I have learned more by reading these Forums and the Newsgroups than I could ever return, but I do believe in "Users helping Users".

To be honest, with the assistance of the site moderators, I have had to cut this (and some other) particular thread several times. It would be gigantic and unusable otherwise.

I very much appreciate your kind words, Gilldog. Thank you.

Best,
Bill Castner

Bcastner et al,
I was happy to find Winsockfix.exe about 6 weeks ago, and since then I have had to run it 6 times on my client's laptop. I note a few recurring themes in these posts: cable modem connection with home network router (she has), laptop with wireless network card (she has), and corrupt winsock stack after running Ad Aware (this applied the first time, but she hasn't run Ad Aware in weeks.)

I wonder why this keeps recurring? I can keep running the util but feel I'm not addressing the root prob.

Thanks for any help...
Rachel

A lop or sometimes called loph malware is installed. See faq608-4650 for suggested cleaning steps.

Right, well, I've read this thread and followed most of the instructions.

What happened at the beginning:

I have a wireless connection to my school internet, allowing me to browse. A while back, it suddenly died for NO reason, and I couldn't connect. I read about your "not a socket" thing and downloaded the winsockfix. It at least changed the error message. HOwever, it still doesn't work.

Now, when I try and ipconfig /renew it simply says that it can't reach the DHCP server, and can't do anything. It's got the dreaded 169.254.x thing too. I've tried doing what you say, but it's a school-controlled AP etc. What basically happens is that I get signal, I get about 150 packets sent 'n' about 9 recieved, and I can't renew. I cannot see a way past this problem.

I have DHCP enabled, and it SHOULD work.

Perhaps someone has a clue?

Thanks

Lanarion,

Your issue does not sound like a Winsock ot TCP/IP failure, but an adapter misconfiguration or a failed adapter.

. Start the computer with the adapter installed
. Use Device Manager and unintall the adapter device definition.
. Shutdown the computer and remove the adapter
. Restart the computer. Some wireless adapters require the software drivers be installed prior to physicly inserting the adapter, others the opposite. Do what is appropriate to reload a clean new set of drivers.
. Check the settings carefully with what the school requires. If there are WEP or WPA keys necessary, or a specific SSID, insert the values in the new driver definition for the adapter.

Ok.

WEll, it seemed to fix itself.

I'm now getting a few packets sent/recieved, better than before. Pity my signal is so weak.

Given time, it will change.

Thanks.

If this is a notebook computer using a PCMCIA wireless adapter, it is perfectly possible that the end of the adpater sticking out of the notebook was bumped at some time.

When the end of the adapter is hit hard, one or both of two things can happen:

. the pcmcia socket inside the notebook is damaged; and/or
. the wireless antenna traces are broken or damaged.

If you borrow from a class mate the same adapter, does it work better -- as in a lot better?

If you then have your class mate use your adapter does it work for him/her?

does tcp/ip cooperate with ipx/spx on the same inerface, if yes, then why??
and does tcp/ip work and ipx/spx work together in the same net?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back