Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win XP programs not running

Status
Not open for further replies.

tezza

Technical User
May 16, 2001
AU
Hey guys,

I got XP installed on my sons computer, and now most of his games don't run. They start to go in, the screen flickers, and then it goes back to the desktop and he has to end the task. I know the games work on win 2k cos I tried them on my computer. The only thing I can think of that he changed is his video card driver (GeForce 2MX), it was like an offical patch kinda thing. Windows came standard with DirectX8... could that be a factor?

Thanks
Tezza

i have had similar problems to yours. unfortunatly some apps and games don't really run efficiently on XP. built into xp is a compatibility feature which allows you to run programs while emulating a different windows operating system. right click on the exe program which opens the app or game, click the compatibility tab then from there you can choose the various options.

I have already tried that for a couple of apps with no avail, I don't spose you have any other suggestions??

Tezza

try downloading a patch for the game. goto the games website, they just may have an update.

Thanks guys... I found out the problem though. Windows installed my Vid Card as a Geforce 2 400/400MX, so I tried using driver Geforce 2 100/200MX, it now it works. Sorry guys

Tezza

OK, hang on for a story... this one was more complex than what I thought. Firstly I was running Geforce 2 MX400, I went into dxdiag, and Direct draw wasn't available. So I disabled direct3d and installed the Geforce 2 MX100/200. I then restarted and directdraw was available, so I re-enabled the direct3d, and now it doesn't work... so I'm back at square one... any suggestions??/

Tezza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back