Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIn XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

CB121

Technical User
Jun 22, 2003
US
I upgraded to Win XP pro from 98SE. First, I re-formatted the hard drive, loaded 98, then upgraded to XP. It recgonizes my CD-RW drive and I can use it. The problem is that when I want to back up, the drive is not listed. I have tried everything. Can anyone please help before I go nuts

Sounds like you are using XP's CD Burning program, if so try this.

" XP can write data to CD-RW, but not directly from NTBackup. However, you can place backup files in the XP CD-RW write subsystem's spooler, which effectively writes the data directly to CD-RW. To add files to the spooler, perform the following steps:

Start NTBackup (go to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and click Backup).
Select the Backup tab.
Select the files that you want to back up to CD-RW.
Select File for the type of "Backup destination."
Enter the following file location:

C:\documents and settings\<user name>\Local SettingsApplication Data\Microsoft\CD Burning\Backup.bkf

If you aren't sure what the <user name> variable needs to be, go to a command prompt and type
echo %userprofile% to check your %userprofile% environment setting.
After you specify the location of your files in the CD-RW cache, right-click the &quot;CD write&quot; icon in Windows Explorer and select &quot;Write these files to CD&quot; to write the backup files to CD-RW.

Make sure the size of your backup doesn't exceed the capacity of your storage media.&quot;

Article Information
InstantDoc ID: 24412

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back