Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win Xp Pro to Win 2k Pro networking - can't see network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubruoy

Technical User
Aug 6, 2002
US
I am having a hard time here. I have one machine with xp pro and another with 2k. Dial up connection is on the xp machine. I have a linksys 5 port switch and am trying to set up a peer to peer network with internet connection sharing. I have done everything I can but neither machine can see the other. Finally, I enabled the guest account and the 2k machine could access the internet. After reboot, it could not. This is driving me nuts. I have done peer to peer networking quite a few times but not recently and I know this must be a permissions thing. Each computer is connected to the switch - if I unplug a cable from the switch, the corresponding machine says "network cable unplugged" so I know my cables are good.

Please!!

Thanks for your response bcastner. I saw on one of your other posts a bit about enabling the guest account. When I did that, the 2000 computer immediately could go onto the internet via the dialup on the xp machine. After a reboot, it no longer can. This is crazy. I have disabled the firewall, xp firewall that is, disabled norton system works and nothing seems to make any difference.

Thanks for the links bcastner. I followed the directions thoroughly but no luck. I can't figure out why it suddenly worked when I enabled the guest account then quit again. I know there must be a setting somewhere. I tried different nics and nothing seems to work.

If anyone is reading this and is having a similar problem, I figured out what to do to resolve my problem. I got the primary and secondary dns addresses from my isp, even though they said I wouldn't need them since I was on a dial-up account, and put them in for the network connection along with a static ip address.

Everything I read kept saying to set the client computer at "obtain address automatically" which, for some strange reason known only to the gremlins in my computer, wouldn't work.

After setting the static ip address, one higher than my host ie: host: 192.168.0.1 client: 192.168.0.2 I was able to network. After adding the primary and secondary dns addresses, I was able to access the internet.

Thanks to Bill Castner for the links he provided as they were very helpful. He has helped me out before along with linney and I wish that I could also help others who are stuck...maybe with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back