Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win XP Pro forgot my printer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lammbock

Programmer
Jun 3, 2003
DE
Ive got an older Epson printer which worked fine some days ago. But out of nowhere I cant print anymore. Windows does not show the printer (as well as other network-printers) on the start->settings->printer page.
The wizard for installing a new printer does not open and installing a new usb-printer suddenly stops.

I guess there is a simple answer but i have no idea! Thanks!

Go to the services control panel (start -> run -> services.msc then click OK)

Find the Print Spooler service then click start.

Your printers should then reappear.

John

It was running. I tried restarting but WinXP could not close it. Any idea? Thanks anyway.

Is the printer by any chance a Network printer, perhaps on a Win98 workstation?

If so, I think the machine that is sharing the printer is losing network communications for the device. You might Google this one. A common cause was having the wrong version of spool32.dll. Network printers then "disappear" under Win98.

No. Its not a network-printer. It is connected to the pc. The start->settings->printer page is completely empty (absolutely no icon there) and installing new printers does not work!

Have you tried seeing if the printer is already installed right click 'my comp.'/ properties/hardware/device manager/view/show hidden devices. you may get some idea of a driver or hardware problem here!

Lammbock,

I still think the problem is a wrong or corrupted version of spool32.

Google 'win98+printer+disappear'

If you are running 98, then run Sfc from the start menu, and use the replace option, to install the fresh .dll ..any help?

@ dazzer01: the device-manager shows a USB-Controller with a question mark. I just disabled the device.

@ bcastner: I googled, but the did not help, their problems are all different from mine.

And: I am running XP Pro. And hell, I dont want to reinstall!!!

Also: thanks for your time, I greatly appreciate that!

bcastner, you were right when you assumed, that Ive got some spool32 problem. I manage two other WinXP PCs and searched the three windows directories for "spool". The result: The Pc with the probs missed the spoolss.dll in the system32 directory.

I took the file from another PC and now I can print again.

God bless you all!

Ive no idea how the file could vanish, though...

About your q,mark usb controller.
This points toward your m'board drivers, if you have the disk, re run the install, it should search for installed components and let you re-install only for the usb.
OR.. you have altered your bios settings, and perhaps turned off usb support/ usb legacy..etc.
OR... in light of your missing spool' you may have inadvertantly deleted a core usb driver, if running XP find it in device manager, right click it/ properties/ roll back driver. it may, I said may! revert to the original and correct driver!... good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back