Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win XP Pro-Duplicate name exists

Status
Not open for further replies.

irmaj

IS-IT--Management
Apr 7, 2003
CA
When I start win xp, I get this error msg that says, "Windows System Error - A duplicate name exists on the network." I'm not totally stupid, but 'what' name is duplicate? THe computer name? A user name? Domain name? If there is anyone out there who has way more exp., please come forth and share your knowledge??????

Thanks!

I'm not that good at networks either but i can tell you it has to be a computer name on the same domain. you can't have a duplicate domain or user name

Like Ramfag said, there are 2 computers on the domain with the same name. If you need help on how to track down the pc's, let us know.

this error can be generated when:

. There is a computer on the network with the same name.
. An identical user name is logged on to multiple computers.
. There are inactive or duplicate names in the Windows Internet Naming Service (WINS) database.
. There is corruption in the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) database.
. There are conflicting network adapters in a multihomed computer.
. The ipconfig /all command returns an incorrect host name.

See Microsoft KB315259 - NetBT Event ID 4320 Appears in Event Viewer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back