Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win XP Pro Defrag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Nov 30, 2002
GB
Hi folks. I am running Win XP Pro on my Dell Optiplex GX 260 and till now I have had no real problems. My software came, pre installed I should add, and has been okay. Today though I tried to Defrag my system and could not find it in the Accesories/System Tools where it usually is. Performing a search I located the Defrag.exe stored in Windows/Prefetch but when I try and run this exe Windows tells me that it cannot open this file and asks me what program created it.

Well I am flumoxed by all this. Can any of my peers fill me in on what may have happened and sugest a remedy? Many thanks for any help offered. Walt

Right click on the drive in Explorer go to Properties then to Tools, Defrag should be the middle option there.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Yeah, now once you get used to XP, you won't ever want to go back to 98 or before. [WINK]

You'll find LOTS of things are 1,000 times easier with XP than with previous versions. Well, ME and 2000 had some of the same capabilities, but XP is still king! [smile]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Well, didn't I say it......you are indeed my peers. Thanks both of you because it turned out to be just as you said it would and I am now so happy to be able to de frag my hard drive again. Thank you from the botom of my heart for your kindness in assisting me. Every blessing. Walt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back