Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win xp pro as server ? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

darrenrd

Technical User
Apr 10, 2002
US
just woundering anyone know how many consecutive users win xp will allow to log on ..im kickng around setting one up asa server in a small bizz. with mayby about 5-10 users logged on at one time max..think it will work..it appears to have about the same type of security and policy settings as win2000 server ..i guess from what i see its just mostly a issue or users.thanks

I saw a post the other day where a guy could not get more than 10 users to connect to XP. That must be the limit.

JON

10 concurrent connectins is the correct answer

thank you very much ...both of you..anyone hear if they plan on upping that limit any time soon?

From what I hear there is a *hack* you can do that will allow you to add more users but A) I don't think it's Microsoft sanctioned as XP is not meant to be anything but a local development server and B) I also don't think there are plans to up the number since the reason in A.

Just a small quibble. For XP Pro the limit is 10 connections, for Home 5.

But the connections are counted against the use of shared resources, not just logins.

You could have 1000 logged in clients, but only 10 resource shares are allowed concurrently.

As a further quibble, the resource shares are not counted by the number of shared devices in use. If one user mapped 25 shared logical devices, for example, it still counts as 1 connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back