Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win xp NTDLL.DLL error in System Event Viewer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pflan

ISP
Oct 15, 2003
US
Hey there, I'm looking for help on the following problem.
I'm using Win XP pro on a Pentium 4 1.4 GHz with 128 RAM.
The computer during start up will freeze intermittently. Looking in the Event Viewer displays the following errors:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Popup
Event Category: None
Event ID: 877
Date: 11/13/2003
Time: 9:57:46 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SELF-QOQ8W3BNIA
Description:
There was error [DATABASE NOT LOADED] processing the driver database.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 02 00 64 00 ......d.
0008: 00 00 00 00 6d 03 00 c0 ....m..À
0010: 00 00 00 00 6d 03 00 c0 ....m..À
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

There are 2 of theses errors the same (I'm guess multiple attempts to load) and they all make reference to the NTDLL.DLL file in the event viewer.

After these errors there are 2 more

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7023
Date: 11/13/2003
Time: 10:00:05 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SELF-QOQ8W3BNIA
Description:
The Upload Manager service terminated with the following error:
The specified module could not be found.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
The event viewer makes refernce to netevent.dll, and there are 2 of these errors aswell.

I'm not sure if these errors are related. I am relatively sure that this is what is causing the computer the freeze as I have cleared out the event viewer before rebooting to try and isolate the errors.

Any help anyone might have would be great. :)

Thanks in advance for your help,

Paul.

The first error is harmless, and would not cause your startup to freeze. To "fix" the issue:

This is a bug where drvmain.sdb is not owned by any component, it should be owned by the App Compat Core component and the file should be copied to %systemroot%\AppPatch folder. The file DRVMAN.SDB is the "bad driver database" so when a driver is loaded PnP checks this database and if any drivers need to be blocked, they will
act accordingly.
Manually adding this file to the AppPatch subfolder resolves the error, even though the error is harmless.

The second error, dealing with the Upload Manager, is also benign. From MS:

"Executable Name: svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Log On As: LocalSystem

Description: The Upload Manager service manages the synchronous and asynchronous file transfers between clients and servers on the network.
Driver data is anonymously uploaded from customer machines to Microsoft then used to help users find the drivers required for their systems. The Microsoft Driver Feedback Server asks the client's permission to upload the computer's hardware profile and then search the Internet for information about how to obtain the appropriate driver or get support from Microsoft or a 3rd party.

Information uploaded from your computer for the purposes of finding driver information will include the hardware identification numbers for the device, the time at which the Windows Hardware Wizard was finished, and an ID for the Windows operating system you are running. The system nformation uploaded cannot be tracked to a user, computer, corporation, IP address, or any other source information."

The service can be stopped without affecting your computer and its startup.

Thanks for the help, The Event viewer is now clear of all errors.. I'm still not sure what causes the OS to crash during start up occasionally. RAM is something that is going to be addressed in the near future, but I don't see it being the likely cause of a crash since 95% of the time the PC loads with no problems. Thanks again for all the help.

Paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back