Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIN-XP not recognizing Sun Java VM when executing HTML w/applet

Status
Not open for further replies.

bromberg

Programmer
Oct 14, 2002
US
I have Win-XP/Home edition and just successfully un-installed Microsoft's Java VM via the Control Panel. My intent was to replace MS's VM with Sun's (1.4.01) VM that I downloaded and installed. An applet that successfully ran with MS's VM now does not run. I'm sure my Sun VM install was successful but for whatever reason (and this is my question) XP cannot locate the new Sun VM. I did update my path (via the Control Panel) to point to my bin directory (set path=C:\j2sdk1.4.1_01\bin) and when I do the path command in a DOS window it confirms this is my path and I can compile an run a java program from a DOS window.
So how can I get Win XP (Service Pack 1 NOT installed) to recognize my new Sun VM? Or if I must, how may I restore the Win XP VM I just uninstalled? (As I understand it, MS will no longer provide a download of it's VM due to the recent judgement that Sun won).

Thanks much,
Danny

Almost right, the next version will contain VM again, they won in appeal
If the answer is here, mark it, others can benefit from it too.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!

Hi bromberg

Before Microsoft released the new SP1a for Windows XP, which installs SUN JVM JRE 1.4.01, I decided to install SP1 followed by Java SDK 1.4.01, and it is working either when I am my own classes, or running it as applets.

I would suggest you to uninstall your Java JRE 1.4.01, reboot, and then install Windows XP SP1a.

Cheers...

Has anybody had any bad experiences installing XP SP1 or SP1a? I've read some mixed reviews whether or not to put it on.

NTmare: Haven't seen a reference to Sun's Java VM now being part of SP1a but I'll look into it. Thanks.

linney: I'll look into your 810030 link, but I'm pretty sure I'd read somewhere that MS no longer is able to offer their VM. Thanks.

Thanks,
Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back