Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win XP Networking dissapeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squrl79

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2002
US
Over the weekend we had a magical fairy in our office playing on one of the computers since noone will own up to telling us what happended i have no idea what they might have done. The Problem: we have a computer running windows XP accessing a NT network everything was fine until monday morning. the computer has slowly lost network connectivity. as far as we can see no changes have been made to the network settings. If anyone knows how to fix this or knows how was in my office over the weekend. lmao!!
your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Without any details as to the actual problems you are having, have you checked the obvious?
Network cables! Did a cable get unplugged or go bad?
User error. Did a user delete something they weren't supposed to? Have you checked the network properties to make sure they are still set up correctly?
Other than that, if you provide some more details, someone should be able to help.

Would using System Restore fix up that particular computer's settings if you think it is that?

What does the event viewer log tell you about access over the weekend?

The network cable is ok, the card can ping the server and itself...so it should be ok, and all client programs run ok. The network shows that all network connections are not available, but if you select one and try and open it up, bam! it opens the folder. all other computers on the network run fine, just this XP client. Can I reinstall / repair XP with the XP disk? Used the restore feature, and it wouldn't let me restore before the problems started? Should I try restoring from months ago? I have the restore memory Maxed out @ like 4800 Mgs! so it should have saved info from along time ago?

Thanks for any help!!!!

System Restore will fail if the restore point you are trying to restore is not "healthy" because of faulty system settings etc. If you go back too far with System Restore (assuming it lets you) you would have to update and re-install lots of programs installed in the time between restore date and present.

You can repair windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

REPAIR WINDOWS

Boot from XP CD
(Windows will now load some temporary files)

Options after booting

*To Set Up Windows XP now press ENTER

*To Repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R

*To Quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3

Press ENTER for first option (don't select Recovery Console)
(Accept Eula agreement)

Follow onscreen instructions to repair windows installation

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Is this system on a domain? If it is in a workgroup, check to make sure "computer browser" is running in the processes. If "computer browser" is not "started", then it can't see other computers on the network. If this solves your problem make sure "computer browser" is set to automatic instead of manual.

Hope this helps.

The computer can sometimes see the network and all the other computers. If I try and open any files from the network...the computer lags, then "NOT RESPONDING".
I know that the Net card is ok, the cable...fine, so all that is left is this computer. Could it be my network TCP/IP properties? Can anyone email me a correct looking WIndows XP TCP/IP properties example. What are good DNS and WINS settings?

I was able to receive outside email for a minute...no internet or viewing anything on the network though? THis is weird. Anyone have anymore ideas?

Thanks

I re-applied Xp over itself to try and fix the problem. I reapplied Office XP to see if that is why Office stuff is hanging. NO LUCK. I can see other comnputers in the workgroup, but cannot access them (once in a while it allows me to). Any suggestions on what this could be?
I really don't want to format my drive as there are a lot of misc. programs to reconfigure. It may be my only solution. First I'll give you experts a try.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back