Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win XP nearly filled drive? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ech

Instructor
Oct 9, 2001
US
Are there any files that can be deleted to make room. With the drive so full, it is running super-slow. What is Win XP Hotfix and do I need it? What about Win XP uninstall?

I'll defrag and clean off files, but documents don't make a whole lot of room anyway. Any suggestions? The drive is 11.2 gb and has 1.73 gb free.

well hotfix is needed security wise, XP PRO only takes up around 2 gigs..........so there is somewhere else you need to check. How about temp files or programs u dont use, also check in your "msconfig" command to see unneeded programs running in your background, also windows componenets that are not needed (control panel)..... JeffS

also any anti virus on your system..........could be something filling it up.......KLEZ?! oh no run............just kidding JeffS

Not clear from your information but have you run the Disk Cleanup tool?

"Win XP uninstall", suggests that you have upgraded. If you don't want to revert to your old o/s and are happy with XP. you should be able to remove the uninstall files via Add or Remove programs section.

How many GB's are taken up with System Restore?

Do you use Hibernation, there's 500mb you can get back there?

Have you looked at the Compressed files option?

What about a second hard drive?

Thanks, linney... I did just upgrade from win 98, so could get rid of the uninstall file. The other ideas I'll check into - how safe is the compressed files option? I haven't used that for many years, but never had trouble when I did.

Never used compressed drive or files option myself, but like you say, it has been around for ages. Read up on compressed drives and compressed files by typing "Compressed Drive" in Help and Support program.

You may have to Uncompress a drive when upgrading or repairing windows.

Just turning off the system restore function saved me .5 GB's but it's up to you if you want to do without that. A really good trick is to run disk cleanup. When the window opens look for the "compress old files" option. Check the box, then click the options button. The default time to compress old files is set at 50 days. Walk this setting down 10 days at a time (or less) until you get to 5 days. You have to run disk cleanup after each setting. Don't go from 50 to 5 days in one shot or you'll be running disk cleanup forever. This will free up a ton of space.

If "compress old files" is not listed in the disk cleanup menu I will post instructions on how to set that option in there.

I never advise anyone to just upgrade, it is always better to wipe clean ans reinstall.
The benefits are amazing! the system will run quicker and cleaner and even if you put all your existing programs back on you will gain a third to half of your hard drive back.
It's just not worth messing about with, backup and wipe! clean install. Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Thanks to ALL for more great suggestions - I'm up to 4.6 GB free now. The laptop drive's file system is FAT32, therefore, the compress old files option is not available in Disk Cleanup. Any advice on whether to run convert.exe to change the system to NTFS? How much would that change my available free space?

if speed is what you're going for, then NTFS format is not the way to go. It has better security, but if i were you, i'd stick with the FAT32

Disk Cleanup settings: Start button/run. Type in the following - cleanmgr /sageset:99 (note the space between cleanmgr and the forward slash). This will open a list of check boxes. Make sure all are selected and they will appear each time you run disk cleanup from then on. You will find the "compress old files" box near the bottom of the list. Again, follow my instructions above for "walking down" the default number of days to compress the old files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back