Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win XP Home welcome screen show no user accounts to log into!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech888

MIS
Sep 3, 2003
CA
I am just about to give up and reformat this computer.

Recently updated to Service pack 2, everything was great for a day. Then after a restart the welcome screen with all the user accounts (5 of them) was gone. The welcome screen still loaded but the only option was to shut down button. I tried cntl+alt+del twice and tried to log on with all 5 account username and password. but no luck!!
(I also tried the above procedure in Safe Mode)

I then did a repair install off the Win XP home CD. this did not help. the welcome screen still had no accounts to click on!!

Does anyone have any ideas?

I've never heard of this before...

If all else Fails... (and I mean ALL ELSE)

you may be able to get a copy of the Knoppix Linux Distro (it's a 700 MB download) and burn it to a CD-R...

Even though my user account was password protected with NTFS file system, Knoppix was still able to access my files (even though other users on my pc could not even view them)... I thought this was a bit odd, but may come in handy later on?!?

Then go back on your PC and copy all of your files to another hard drive, or CDs/DVDs then start over with a fresh format...

I wouldn't want to do this... But if no one else has any better ideas, this might be your last resort....

I would definitely look around a lot more before doing this...

Good Luck,

And remember... this is a LAST RESORT

Have Fun, Be Young... Code BASIC
-Josh

cubee101.gif

PROGRAMMER: (n) Red-eyed, mumbling mammal capable of conversing with inanimate objects.

yes, this is a odd problem. can't find anyone else having the same problem on google!!! I may be the first to many!!
Thanks for the suggestion but I think it would be easier to slave the drive to another ntfs OS and back up the data.

That would probably be alot easier [lookaround] ;-)

If you do find an answer before doing anything drastic... please post back here...

Have Fun, Be Young... Code BASIC
-Josh

cubee101.gif

PROGRAMMER: (n) Red-eyed, mumbling mammal capable of conversing with inanimate objects.

unfortunately I need to have the computer up and running. so I slave the hard drive burned the files onto DVD. and now in the process of rebuilding. this should take 3 hours. better than the 5 hours I spent searching for answers =).

I'm sure someone will have the same problem one day, and no doubt there will be a quick fix for it!

The only thing I can blame it on is Service Pack 2....

Cheers..

Maybe some of the switches in the Boot.ini file were a problem?

327101 - Error message: Windows has detected that one or more protected core system files (kernel) on your computer have been modified

The Logon User interface displayed is created from Logonui.exe, perhaps replacing that would have been an option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back