Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win XP Home> cannot see network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

non9751

IS-IT--Management
Jan 27, 2004
US
I have several computers going from modem, to router, back to a hub. These computers can see both networks, i have defined. I hooked up new PC, from PC, to Hub.

I can see the router, and connect online fine. When i go to view work group Pc's it says i have no permissons to access it. I tried running a small business network, shared my C drive. No luck. I even tried, going into, putting netbios first over TCP. My computer service, is started.

This pc has win XP Home, all others have WIn XP PRo, does home edition not support networks???

Any help?

Disable any software firewall installed (ZA, Windows)

============================
Hope this helps.

Actually disabling them usually wont work, as they continue to run in the background even after they are closed. The only way to completely disable them is to uninstall them. I wished they did work by simply closing them lol, would make life alot easier however they are far more stubborn than that.

I have crippled zonealarm on the pc and disabled then "stopped" windows firewall service on the notebook (xp). I've installed Network Magic and run it. It displays everything on the network but accesses nothing. XP add-a-printer cannot find the pc printer from the notebook ("may have lost its connection to the server") and Network Magic cannot access shared files\folders in either direction (network path not found).

ghardenb - you still haven't told us your network setup - apart from same situation as TOMOGDEN. So, does that mean the xp home machine is wireless connection & 2k wired? If so, have you tried hard wiring the XP home machine temporarily to see if sharing works that way. I've had a few odd experiences with wireless - where wired worked no problem, wireless was a pain.

If you seriously need this to work, I'd consider removing all the shares & network hardware on both machines, then replace and reinstall everything (and perhaps run winsockfix - though as internet working, probably not needed). I'd also uninstall zone alarm and disable XP firewall while trying to re set up. I've also seen problems with recent versions of zone alarm (in terms of being able to access what user wants - you might want to consider a different firewall for 2k).

- 2k pro on pc with linksys router
- xp Home on Acer notebook
- wireless connection
- printer on pc via usb
- dsl modem from router
- zonealarm on pc with nothing but trust for anything having to do with network and minimum to no security levels all around.
- windows firewall disabled and stopped on notebook.

The notebook has internet via the router, no problem. Network Magic utility was able to map all network components fine at each end, but could not access shared folders or printer and unable to add printer on notebook.

Tried it wired. No different.

Would UG to xp pro on the notebook make it all good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back