Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win XP Home> cannot see network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

non9751

IS-IT--Management
Jan 27, 2004
US
I have several computers going from modem, to router, back to a hub. These computers can see both networks, i have defined. I hooked up new PC, from PC, to Hub.

I can see the router, and connect online fine. When i go to view work group Pc's it says i have no permissons to access it. I tried running a small business network, shared my C drive. No luck. I even tried, going into, putting netbios first over TCP. My computer service, is started.

This pc has win XP Home, all others have WIn XP PRo, does home edition not support networks???

Any help?

Home is not a network OS.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

So what does that mean exactly, but forgive me explain it like i was an 8 year old. Is win xp home my problem?

If You have no password on WinXP Home You should create one. XP Pro rejects connection attempts from accounts with blank passwords.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

On my XP Pro machine I ran the Network Setup Wizard and created a Diskette and set up my XP home computer that way. You might be able to run the Network Setup Wizard on the XP home machine and make it work that way, but diskette was easier for me.

XP Home supports Workgroups, but not Domains.

MrTBC, there is nothing about domains, read the original post.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

I have a similar situation. We have a desktop running windows 2000 professional. We have a workgroup setup on this desktop called "workgroup".

One of the guys in the office purchased a gateway laptop with Windows "XPHOME" installed.

It is connected to a Belkin Wireless through a wireless network device and can access the internet with no problems.

I have setup the laptop with the same workgroup name and a unique computer name. I am unable to access the workgroup from this Laptop, I receive a "Permissions" error. I can see the laptop from the Network Places on the WIN2K machine, but when I click on the laptop icon, it gives me an invalid path error.

Any ideas??

TOMOGDEN: I see this is an old post and you may never see my reply. I also see you had no responses.

I am in exactly the same situation and am at the point of pulling my hair out. Did you find a solution??

Gary

First off either enable guest sharing or create a user account and set its abilities to how you want either restricted , power user or whatever. Then you can use windows xps tool for setting things up or you can manualy share what folders you want to be shared.

Try creating the same user with the same password for all of the pc's, then try again.

============================
Hope this helps.

ghardenb - you have checked the obvious, eg:-

same IP address range for both machines
at least one resource (drive/folder/printer) shared on each machine
XP machine's firewall turned off

Yes.

The msg I am getting at both ends is "...not found...".

The pc (2kpro) has the router and internet access. The notebook (xp home) uses the internet with no problem, but doesn't see the pc or the printer.

Can you ping between the machines (should be able to if XP firewall off - and no firewall on 2k machine)?

Have you got any other security software (eg, Norton or McAfee security suites) runing on either machine?

If you try to access machines directly (by typing \\machinename in a run box, do you get the same result)?

Firewalls are not an issue.

Run box gets me "network path not found".

so can you ping between the machines?

you haven't actually described your network - am assuming you have a router of some kind, acting as DHCP server, which both XP & 2k machines are connected to with IP set to pick up automatically.

Open up your LAN properties. TCP/IP protocol properties. Check

1) The subnet mask is the same. Also check that you haven't blocked anything out with your subnet mask.
2) Click Advanced.
3) Click DNS tab - check that the DNS suffix is the same.

On most home systems these are the normal problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back