Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win XP Fatal Error during Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajax288

Technical User
Jul 15, 2001
CA
Hi..

i'm trying to install windows XP on a ADM K7-700 mhz with 128 ram and a ata100 20 gigs hard disk. The HD is splitted in two equal partition. On the first one, win98 SE french version is installed and on the second one i try to install XP.

When i start the installation everything is ok. The setup program then reboot the machine and shows me installation progress.

Collecting Information OK
Dynamic Update OK
Preparing installation OK
Installing Windows FATAL ERROR
Finalizing installation

39 minutes left for completion.

a box appear..
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fatal Error

An error has been encountered that prevents setup from continuing.
One of the componets that windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.
Incorrect function.
Press ok to view the setup log file.
OK
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System Setup Log

Error:
installation Failed E:\i386\asms. Error Message: incorrect function
Fatal Error:
One of the components that windows needs...etc
Incorrect function.
CLOSE
when a saw that the error came from that directory i boot with win98 and tried to copy E:\i386\asms\*.* (including subdirectorys and files) to a temp directory.

Then the file
"E:\i386\asms\6000\msft\windows\common\controls\controls.man"
could not be copied. It says impossible to copy control : impossible to read
from the source file or the floppy disk (translated from french so it can differ from the original message)

I took the cd and tried to copy the same file on another computer running win2000
and it worked.

Why this? Why the presence of win98 on another hard drive prevent the file from being copied? Btw no anti-virus were activated when doing this.

Thanx for taking time to help me..

AjaX

I had a similiar experience and found the CD drive to be the issue. I used another drive to run the install and swapped back after installation was completed.

The CD you are using is a backup, and while it was backed up the controls.man file was corrupted.

To solve it copy all the files from the CD to your Hard Drive and get a new copy of the controls.man file from the original CD and copy it over the corrupted file.

Then burn to a CD, the will solve the problem, and does create a small new problem the CD will not be bootable.

Get around this by booting with the backup and the next time the system restarts during the installation (usually after formatting) quickly swap the backup with the new backup created with the working controls.man file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back