Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

win server 2008 standard additional domain controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altaf786

Technical User
Jun 27, 2009
SA
Hi,

my existing domain controller is win ser 2003 small business server and working as dns, dhcp, AD, i want to add win ser 2008 standard as additional domain controller, i search and found so many videos and links, but i want your advice.

1. can i go ahead with the above server as n ADC. please send steps
2. to join ADC does i have to do any steps on my main DC.
2. in addition to dns and AD can i setup dhcp in ADC and stop dhcp server on my main dc
3. if i setup dhcp on ADC, is there any effect on my users or do i face any issues.

your quick response is highly appreciated..

Please advice and thank a lot for your valuable advice.

This has been revisited many times here. A simple google search can provide you the step-by-step for all that you have mentioned.

1. can i go ahead with the above server as n ADC. please send steps
If you are adding a Windows 2008 server to an existing Win2003 domain, you need to update the schema by running adprep /forestprep and /domainprep

2. to join ADC does i have to do any steps on my main DC.
See above

2. in addition to dns and AD can i setup dhcp in ADC and stop dhcp server on my main dc
You could export the DHCP config from 2003 to your 2008 host and have that run DHCP services for you

3. if i setup dhcp on ADC, is there any effect on my users or do i face any issues.
This would depend on your environment

As I have indicated as there is plenty of material covering this, I would suggest that you carefully plan this out or get some external help to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back