Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win Server 2003 Search Prob

Status
Not open for further replies.

danofre

Technical User
Jul 13, 2001
US
When anyone goes to search for files or folders on any pof the shares. ie *.* no results are displayed. Its not a rights issue as I am domain admin and get the same results.
Any clue?

Try your post again.

If the issue is that not all text within a file is searchable, that is one issue.

If the question is that not all file types are searchable, that is quite another.

Its relatively easy.
Start> serach> files or folders> and chose anything to search for on the network share. Anything you like including *.* Display results = nothing.

danofre,

It is not that relatively easy in most cases. If there is some damage to the handlers for Windows Search, or they are searching for in-text or file types for which there are not default handlers, nothing will appear.

I am not searching in text. I am searching for test.doc in the share mapped to L:
I make a document called test.doc
I put it in the share that is mapped to L:
I search by going to start\search\files or folders and type:test.doc and get nothing
type: test.* and get nothing
Type: *.doc and get nothing
Type *.* and get 57,000 documents and folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back