Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win Server 2003 (4 CPU - 4 GB RAM ) VERY SLOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
Feb 8, 2006
IT
Hi,

I have this problem:

I have installed windows server 2003 EE on a server with 4 Xeon and 4 GB of RAM.

Installaton has gone right, I have installed SP1 and some applcations (SQL server 2000 SP4).

I observerd (but also some my collegue, connected remotely) that this server looks like slower than a common PC with PIV:
for example:
to unzip a big file (larger than 10 GB) on PC, the time took more less 45 min; the same test on the server it took more than 1 hour.
Same thing happen running an application to porting a big databse to a new version:
On the PC only 1,5 hours, on the server......some days!!!!!

During this task I observerd the CPUs usage in task manager....CPUs are always very very low: 0-2%, very strange because unzipping and running the application for porting the database to new version should take over CPUs to stress?

Anyone knows something?
Why this happen?
Is there anything to do?

Thank very much

What kind of HDs do you have in there ?

Besides what kind of HDs you are using, you need to check the following;

1. Are you using RAID on your server, what level, how much cache? raid config type (some raid levels are better for write operations others for read-only
2. Do you have plenty of disk space? You said you attempted to unzip a 10GB file.. did you have enough temporary space to do so or was there a lot paging involved.

I would recommend running Windows system monitor in order to check standard disk performance counters

3. Was the file you unzipped locally on the server or did you access it from a network share? If this is the case, check to ensure you are not autonegotiating NIC speed on the server to the switch port.

Hope this helps

Hi,
thank for your reply,
server is new, and is equipped with 6 disks SCSI 15 rpm 300 gb.
So there is enough space (there is only SQL server 2000 installed).
No network shared, file is unzipped locally.
At the moment there is not raid, 6 indipendent disks.

But comparing server and small pc, server with/without raid should in any case faster than PC (serial ata, PIV!!!!).

Any idas?
any help very appreciated!!!

Task Manager it and see where the RAM is being sucked. With the 4Gig RAM limit(which sucks) i wonder if it's a hog of a program (Exchange, SQL)

Hi,

monitoring RAM, it is always below 4 GB of RAM, there is more than 2 GB free .

May be I check better monitoring RAM continuosly.

For any ideas, suggestions I will be very happy to varify them.

thank

Servers aren't necessarily faster than PC's they are designed to be more robust.

Chances are a zip application won't take advantage of any of the high end server components like multiple processors.

Also you sever could be set up as a Cache server not an apllication server.

There are soooo many different aspects that could be affecting performance.

" it is always below 4 GB of RAM, there is more than 2 GB free"
Have you done the edits to take advantage of 6GB of ram?

Try stopping SQL and all other app's and services then do the test or install sql etc on the PC then see how it does Like for Like!

Iain

Hi,

I have already thought to add the /PAE and /3GB parameters in boot.ini. May be adding them it should get better.

Interesting : "Also you sever could be set up as a Cache server not an apllication server".... I will check to verify if this option is setted.

Do not hesitate to add comment or suggestions from your personal experiences that may be useful to find the correct way to reach the best server performance.

Thank

If I am not mistaken the /3GB option is no longer supported in Win2K3 (don't know if it ignores or tries to apply). Also SQL Server will take as much available memory as it can and "gives it back" when required.
Since you have indicated that the server/disks are new. Check to ensure that you have the latest firmware applied to your raid/scsi adapter/disks and even the server (check with the vendor since there could be known issues).

Keep in mind that for a default installation of the a server priority is given to background services and programs, not foreground operations. (unlike a Workstation, where foreground programs are given priority).

Also, unlike the OS, most forground running programs don't have a concept of how to use multiple processors.

Phil Gordemer
ARH Associates

thank for your reply,

I 'll check the server...

This is a long shot - but have you verified your network settings are correct on your server - specifically your DNS settings. I had a server where the DNS setting had a typo (10.1.1.100 instead of 10.1.10.10) and it was extremely slow in everything it did. Probably not your issue, but ya never know!! Good Luck

MM

At the moment DNS is not installed, but anyway I will check this issue...

Thank

At the moment I solved the problem: I investigate the RAID controller setting and WriteCache option was not setted; after checked, server run faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back