Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win NT sever blue screens with 4 gigs ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterwo

MIS
Aug 25, 2000
CA
To build the server we have to remove 2 gigs of memory.
Is there a way to tick the system into thinking it has 2 gigs, whild we build it then enable the full 4 gigs?
This is Compaq 6500 with 4 processors and raid array.
Thanks anyone
Peter

The article did not reference what you were seeing exactly but I thnk this would work for you.

The problem has been fixed in Service Pack 3 for Windows NT 4.0. If you have
already installed Windows NT 4.0, apply the latest Service Pack. If you have to
install from floppy disk, reduce the amount of memory below 1.792 GB until you
applied the Service Pack.

Looks like you should take out most of the RAM, install NT, install whatever SP you want (3 or better) install RAM.

Make sure to go mack and setup the page file after you add the RAM.

Ur right, SRG, in your guess at what happened.
We installed NT4 and SP5 and just NT$ on the backup copy of the OS. This was all done on a 2 gig machine.

We added 2 more gig and the backup OS would not boot.
So, we removed the 2 gig, added SP5 to the backup os and put the 2 gig back in.

Everything seems OK.

I just wanted to avoid the need to pull out the 2 gig and then having to put it in again.

Can we trick the hardware into thinking its only got 2 gig before we install the OS?
Thanks for your ideas and any others
Peter

If there is it would be part of teh BIOS config on the hardware. I have heard of this on some servers, but never actually seen one.

Hi,

you have to update the non volatile ram(NEVRAM)of your server with the cd rom comes with a server (ROMPAQ I think)

Good luck

Some BIOSes used to have a setting that meant the OS only saw a certain amount of the RAM.

Chances are - the fastest way to do fool it would be to remove it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back