Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win NT 4 and Ultra 66

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyde

Technical User
Apr 12, 2000
US
I'm running a Abit BE6-II motherboard that supports Ultra 66. If I try to load NT with the hard drive on the Ultra 66 controller NT will not see the hard drive. If I put the hard drive on a IDE controller NT will load just fine. I've tried installing NT and then going back and loading the Ult.66 drivers, and then opening the case and switching back cables and controllers. When I do this, NT boots up but I get a bunch of buffering errors after I log it and then NT tells me its kernel is corrupted. I have to go and switch the cables and controllers back to their IDE configuration and use the emergency repair disk during the reolading of NT to get the OS back.
I'm running a 20G Quantum Fireball HD which is installed in a removeable docking station. I have 98SE on another HD which runs just fine with Ult.66. I would like not to have the switch cables and controllers around everytime I want to switch OS's. Any suggestions? [sig][/sig]

NT can be really nitpicky about the hardware used with it. Is the controller compatible with NT4 and your motherboard? A friend of mine had the same problem. Once he swapped the motherboard with a newer one, his Ultra 66 had no problems running under NT4. [sig][/sig]

Wich SP are you using? Use no higher than SP5.

//johan [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back